Sediment, or lack of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I bottled my second batch (an extract IPA) 2 weeks ago and popped one open for a test. It's carbonated well enough and tastes good but lacks any visible sediment. I've had store bought micro brews that were bottle conditioned and had sediment "floating" on the bottom of the bottle as well as sitting in a nice little pile. My first batch didn't have this but rather had a skimming of what looked like a thin layer of yeast cake stuck to the bottom. After drinking one I have to shake water vigerously I there to get it out. I didn't use a secondary on that batch.

Now on my second brew, which I did use a secondary, I have no visible sediment in the bottles. Like I said, it tastes good so far and is carbonated, although the head isn't anything to write home about, maybe 1/2 an inch.
I wouldn't say it tastes like an IPA either, but I may be spoiled from all the good craft beer I drink. Either way it's very good at 2 weeks.
What's up with the sediment?

Tommy

homebrewer_99 said:
IMO, you are probably being careful to not transfer a lot of sediment in the first place. Good job!:rockin:

:mug:

Good deal!!

Yea, maybe too careful...that's why I came out with 4.5 gallons instead of 5. I ended up with 46 and 1/2 bottles. My first batch came out at 49 bottles even though I dropped a lot of beer and poured a big glass ( close to 16 oz) to take a hydrometer reading.

The main thing is..........."It's Beer!!!:ban:

Tommy

Brewno said:
:mug: Good deal!! Yea, maybe too careful...that's why I came out with 4.5 gallons instead of 5. I ended up with 46 and 1/2 bottles. My first batch came out at 49 bottles even though I dropped a lot of beer and poured a big glass ( close to 16 oz) to take a hydrometer reading. The main thing is..........."It's Beer!!!:ban: Tommy
Don't be greedy and try to get the last drop out of your brew...is one thing I keep saying. Know that you're going to lose some brew if you want to keep it clean (unless it's a Weizen).

That's why I brew 5.25-5.5 gals. I know I'm going to end up with 5 gals in the end.:D ;)

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
There is a thin sediment on the bottom of the bottle if you look hard enough. Is the beer clear?

A little cloudy which I assumed was chill haze. I'll have to pop one open warm.

Tommy

I always pour my homebrew almost all the way...probably leaving a tsp or two in the bottom. Then I tilt the beer and point it to a light source...kind of the beer goggle effect. You'll see the yeasties on the bottom...

I used a flashlight and I saw it. Very little, but it's there.

Tommy

I think I've been getting too good at making my beers clear. I made a hefeweizen, no whirlfloc in the boil, didn't use a secondary, and the %#*&ing beer was still clear as day! Oh well, I drank it anyways just to spite it!

Back