Ported 5 Gallon Better Bottle and Valve - Where to Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_merlin

Reaction score
I've been doing some looking around, but unfortunately places like Google and Yahoo! shopping do not return results from many homebrew suppliers. Where's the cheapest place to buy the Ported 5 Gallon Better Bottle and the spigot valve? I don't understand why the spigot valve costs as much as the Better Bottle.

I think the values are so expensive because that is just what they cost. If suppliers can get them cheaper I am sure they would sell them cheaper, but it seems that everyone charges about the same price for them, so the costs are about the same for everyone.

I wanted to give everyone an update. I decided to buy the regular non-ported better bottle. I drilled a 1 inch hole into the bottle, so I had better figure out a way to install the $3 spigot onto the bottle. My first 2 attempts failed, but the 3rd idea worked like a charm.

Gaskets installed on both sides and the nut on the inside of the bottle...

DSC05841.jpg

DSC05843.jpg

the Merlin: You might need to divulge how you worked the gasket & nut inside before you frustrate those who will try this. BB includes a cut piece of plastic tubing to aide in putting in the BB valve.

the Merlin: You might need to divulge how you worked the gasket & nut inside before you frustrate those who will try this. BB includes a cut piece of plastic tubing to aide in putting in the BB valve.

Go ahead and buy the better bottle valve and plastic tubing for $45. I did this for $3. I do think everyone should try this. It's very easy. I hope to explain it clearly and concisely. You'll need Keg Lube, about 5' of finishing line, a small piece of wood like a tongue depressor or a paint stirrer, and a long, skinny rod or handle. Cut the wood to just bigger than the size of the nut. Drill a hole through the piece of wood and attach the fishing line.

DSC05845.jpg

Set the spigot to open and string the fishing line through the spigot, exiting out the red nozzle. You can then move the piece of wood through the other gaskets and nut. Here's what it'll look like minus the better bottle...

DSC05848.jpg

Apply very little keg lube to one side of one gasket. Stick this gasket onto the nut. Place the nut/gasket combo through the mouth of the better bottle and gently slide it down to the hole at the bottom. The wood piece and line should be strung through the spigot and one gasket. Now work the wood up through the better bottle hole and up through the gasket and nut on the inside. Insert the spigot threads into the better bottle. Pull on the fishing line to create force to pull the gasket down over the treads of the spigot. Once the nut comes in contact with the spigot threads, insert the rod through the mouth of the better bottle and rest it on the nut...

DSC05849.jpg

Now pull on the fishing line while rotating the spigot from the outside. Keep the rod on the nut so it doesn't turn. Once the inside gasket comes in contact with the better bottle, you can completely hand-tighten it without needing the rod. Now turn the better bottle upside down and loosen the fishing string to allow the wood to exit out the mouth.

It's really easier than it sounds. And the spigot can be easily removed because you can keep tension against the inner gasket as you unscrew from the outside...no rod needed for that.

I put the BB spigot on my BB without the tube they are supposed to include. I had to fabricate something from a wooden dowel. It was a bit kludgy, but worked fine.

Ho, BB does NOT include a cut piece of plastic tubing... they CHARGE for it. Yet more salt in the wound of having to pay for the valve.

Regular PVC pipe works as well.

What kind of bit and technique did you drill with? I accidentally bought a non ported BB and have a spare nozzle laying around.

Thanks.

What kind of bit and technique did you drill with? I accidentally bought a non ported BB and have a spare nozzle laying around.

Thanks.

Here's a thread with the technique I used to drill my non-ported better bottle:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/drilling-unported-better-bottle-126141/

Be advised, the step bit, if you don't already have one, will cost you as much as a ported better bottle.. I installed the actual BB racking adapter using thier $3 installing tube. I recommend practicing on some other PET stuff (soda bottles, etc.) before actually doing it to your better bottle.

Thanks.

I used this 1" hole saw: DEWALT at Lowe's: 1" High Carbon Steel Hole Saw Drill Bit

It was very easy to cut through. I have to disagree with the link to the other thread. I just can't understand all the concern around putting holes in Bettle Bottles. What do you think your primary bucket has in it? Do you think it came pre-ported? They are both PET plastics. The plastic cut fairly clean, and I was able to smooth out the edges mostly using my finger nails.

Back