Bell's Hopslam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foppa78

Reaction score
I love this time of the year because Hopslam comes out. I was lucky enough to pick up a whole case of it.

2687982410058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

2663663100058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

Damn fine brew. I had three pints of it tonight (far better on tap than bottles IMO).

although I wish it was a little less sweet.

EDIT: BTW, how much did that case run ya?

no crap, a case here in Louisville would be around $70! haha. wish we had it on tap!

I just picked up a sixer for $15. I have to admit, the only way I can enjoy this beer is when its extremely fresh. Otherwise the hops are attenuated and the malt is way over powering.

no crap, a case here in Louisville would be around $70! haha. wish we had it on tap!

Hey another Louivillian. Pazzo's here in Lexington has Hopslam on tap along with lots of other great beer, tap and bottles. Check out their list. Might be worth the drive.

Pazzo's Tap Listing

EDIT: BTW, how much did that case run ya?

Because you asked it was $73 and some change after tax.
I have several bottles of hop slam left over from last year and I decided crack one open. The hop aroma is noticeably much weaker. The malt is really starting to take over this beer. I buy this beer and pay the good money for the strong hop flavor and aroma. I will not be aging any more of these great beers. Just my opinion.

I had my second about a month ago at the eccentric cafe and this one was MUCH better than the first. A home run for sure! It doesn't seem that elusive to me to brew, and I'm going to take a shot at it in another couple weeks and drink it while I watch the hops grow this spring/summer. Seems crazy to me to pay the kind of scratch they want for it when it can be made at home for about half the price. Plus I get to keep $$ out of Larry Bells' hands. A win-win.

does anyone know the kind/kinds of hops they use for aroma/flavor? to me it smells like a pineapple. I've not experienced this aroma with any one kind of hop before. thanks

I didn't like it aged, it seemed like the hop aromas and flavors were subdued when I tasted a 9 month old bottle.

I had another bottle of it last night and it seems the bottle is much less hoppy than from on tap. North Peak's IPA was MUCH harsher and had a ton more lingering bitterness.

Hopslam is just HUGE hop flavor and soo smooth.

I have been driving all over the triangle area chasing this elusive beer! I have been going to the bar much more frequently over the last couple of weeks, because this beer is just so good! Its been around 6.50 a pint and 15 bucks a six pack, but it is immensly better on draught in my opinion. Amazing hop flavor, and so so smooth. Could be my all time favorite.

I personally wouldn't age this beer. I think that it needs to be consumed quickly and in large quantities :).

IMO it is much better on tap. For those of you in/near Cincinnati the Cock and Bull English Pub in Glendale and Covington have Hopslam and batch 9000 on tap for $4.50 during HH.

@ cuinrearview What do you have against Larry Bell? My opinion is that while I prefer to drink my own and save money I have no reason to not support craft brewers when I am out with friends at the pub.

I have also heard from several sources that while the label says 10% the brewery told wholesalers and distributors that they overshot the gravity and it is more like 12%.

Just saw this in the store. They had a sixer labeled at 9.39!!!!! I took two up to the counter, and it rang up at 18.99 a sixer....told the guy what the sticker said on the shelf, he was just about to adjust my price, when the manager came out and the cashier asked him about it. Needless to say he wouldn't sell it to me at 10 a sixer........so I put it back. Just not willing to spend 20 on a six pack!

Just saw this in the store. They had a sixer labeled at 9.39!!!!! I took two up to the counter, and it rang up at 18.99 a sixer....told the guy what the sticker said on the shelf, he was just about to adjust my price, when the manager came out and the cashier asked him about it. Needless to say he wouldn't sell it to me at 10 a sixer........so I put it back. Just not willing to spend 20 on a six pack!

You're missing out. One helluva beer. I think it's odd that the people farther away from Bell's are getting it for $15. I pay $18.99 and I believe someone from Michigan claimed to pay $17.99.

After all the hype this beers been getting lately decided to head out today and pick up a six pack. I remember trying it last year and enjoying it, but I was out and didn't really give it a critical tasting. I've got a more detailed review up on my blog, but the short version is that while I do like this beer, at least in my mind the hype is a little overboard. That is also likely due at least in part to my not being a huge hophead, though I will say I did enjoy the balance it offers with the crispness, sweetness, and very nice carbonation level. The hops were certainly right there in my face, but it wasn't as overwhelming as I feared it might be. Certainly worthy of a try, but especially when you consider that the six pack ran me almost $20, I don't see picking up another when this one's gone.

So I seen that my bottle shop got some more in. I picked up a 6xer, because I had to!

Sampled one on Saturday night.

WOW! REALLY LACKED THE HOPS!

Previous years' Hopslam was just like drinking a mouthful of hops. Yes, a bit sweet, but well balanced by the massive hops flavor. Not TOO bitter.

This year? Still sweet, but not balanced at all. Fairly lacking in hops aroma and flavor compared to IIPAs. I think my IPA had more hops in it!

Something is not right this year. I've heard a few others mention that 2hearted was also a bit lacking. I wonder if they changed the recipe or have a problem with new equipment...

This year's Hopslam has a really prominent grapefruit aroma and flavor, and isn't as sweet as it was last year. You could really taste the honey in last years, but this year I can't really detect it at all. I enjoyed both, but I think I preferred last years a bit over this year's.

BTW, for anyone in the Detroit area, Champane's Wine Cellar (Chicago Rd and Van Dyke) has been selling it for $13.99 a six pack. I don't care if they sell out now since I already picked up my case!!!

This year's Hopslam has a really prominent grapefruit aroma and flavor, and isn't as sweet as it was last year. You could really taste the honey in last years, but this year I can't really detect it at all. I enjoyed both, but I think I preferred last years a bit over this year's.

BTW, for anyone in the Detroit area, Champane's Wine Cellar (Chicago Rd and Van Dyke) has been selling it for $13.99 a six pack. I don't care if they sell out now since I already picked up my case!!!

Wow, I had exactly the opposite experience in taste. I got low hop flavor (grapefruit, etc.) and could really taste the sweet/honey flavors. Low hop aroma too, which is definitely a bummer. My batch Number is 10073, bottled on December 29th, 2010.

Wow, I had exactly the opposite experience in taste. I got low hop flavor (grapefruit, etc.) and could really taste the sweet/honey flavors. Low hop aroma too, which is definitely a bummer. My batch Number is 10073, bottled on December 29th, 2010.

Mine is batch 10094 and it has big grapefruit in the nose and grapefruit and pineapple in the taste big time as well.

Talked with a friend last night and he said it might be a bit sweeter than before, but that could be his tastes have changed. His batch was 10093, bottled like Jan 3rd...

I'm guessing someone forgot to add some hops in my batch or something, cause honestly, I can hardly call the stuff I got a IIPA.

I am drinking batch 10126, bottled on Jan 18th 2011 and I have to beg to differ with the crowd. It might could use a teeney tiny bit of an increase in bitterness(though I don't think I would notice such without prompting from this thread), but the aroma is absolutely perfect. I had a hercules IIPA from great divide right before it and hopslam obliterates its bitterness.
Also, I got it for 15 bucks a 6er. Definitely pricey but reasonable considering I'm not in their distribution area.

I got a newer batch than the one I previously bought and this one seems better. I must have grown accustomed to the hops though, because it's still a little on the mild side for me. Better though. More hops flavor and just the right amount of bitterness. Good sipping IIPA.

Just had my first pint of this. I love big IPA's but this was underwhelming. What's everyone so worked up about?

Everyone is worked up BECAUSE it's underwhelming this year. I just chalk it up to drinking furious all summer, then wet... then abrasive!

The nose didnt blow me away but it had still good hop flavor and bittering.I liked this year that i noticed the honey presence unlike i did last year but then again my palate has changed,and i still have two bottles left, ha. I definatly would take a pliney over it,maybe and probably even a lagunitas. Its a great beer but i can think of a handfull of double ipa's i would go to sooner. Even 7- 9 %ers like Victory even some random brewerys Harvest ales.Maharaja definatly comes to mind as a "would go for first." I know im doing a this ones better thing,so for anyone if its the best beer they would ever try thats great,i just think its. I almost think i would just enjoy a 2 hearted really.

I got some this week. I like it but I think the price is way to steep.

I don't see buying it again.

Had some in Orlando - after I ordered a Two-Hearted, he said " I am VERY sorry, but we don't have any Two-Hearted. We have a substitute called Hopslam".

Done and done - wow! This ranks right there with Port's Hop-15 for amazing hops and interested malt support (read: not too much).

Excellent beer.

I personally wouldn't age this beer. I think that it needs to be consumed quickly and in large quantities :). .

One of my favorites fresh!..... Also however try putting one down for a couple years.. It turns into one hell of a barleywine

Latest posts

Back