New Planet Gluten Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone in the States tried this Raspberry Ale or any other New Palent Beers?

http://newplanetbeer.com/gluten-free-beer/3r-raspberry-ale/

Being located in Australia I doubt I would be able to access this easily so was hoping someone local could give me their opinion?

They actually arent even distributed outside of Colorado from what I remember. There is one person on this subforum who lives there though and has tried em I think.

I'm jealous, But our local Gordon Biersch brewed a GF golden lager and hopefully (if the world doesn't end) Hit is up this weekend for their tap party. Its gotta be better than the red bridge. (thats the only GF beer available in Po-Dunk SC)

My girlfriend went to CO last summer and brought me a 6er of theirs. It was pretty good, I still have 1or 2 left. I believe they were shooting for a wit type brew. If my memmory serves me correct I think it tasted a lot like st. Peters. I also remember it having that strong sorghum bite. If I still have one I'll crack it tonight and write it up.

My girlfriend went to CO last summer and brought me a 6er of theirs. It was pretty good, I still have 1or 2 left. I believe they were shooting for a wit type brew. If my memmory serves me correct I think it tasted a lot like st. Peters. I also remember it having that strong sorghum bite. If I still have one I'll crack it tonight and write it up.

Thanks for getting back to me guys, also thanks DirtbagHB

It's brewed under contract at Fort Collins Brewery (two doors down from where I work. woo!), but the company itself is in Boulder.

Their flagship brew is a brilliantly clear and pale yellow. The head evaporates to nothing within a couple seconds of being poured. The taste is mildly hopped with that distinct sorghum tang. On the whole, I like it, and it is certainly the best GF brew I've tasted, but I've only had a few. I don't have any sort of gluten allergy.

I haven't tried their new fruit flavors that they're pushing out, but they are sold in four packs as if they were liquid gold.

they are sold in four packs as if they were liquid gold.

yet another reason for us to brew our own.

there are only 3 GF beers available for sale near me

for example these ones:
1 bottle of red bridge =$1.50 or a 6er= $9
1 bottle of st. peters = $6.50 or a 6er= $39
1 bottle of Greens (only 1 option too)= $7.50 or a 6er= $45

i dont know about everyone else, but i can brew a 5 gal batch for $30-$50.
a 5 gal batch = 60 12oz bottles. $50/60 bottles= 83cents per brew and they always taste better than the commercial variety!

yet another reason for us to brew our own.

there are only 3 GF beers available for sale near me

for example these ones:
1 bottle of red bridge =$1.50 or a 6er= $9
1 bottle of st. peters = $6.50 or a 6er= $39
1 bottle of Greens (only 1 option too)= $7.50 or a 6er= $45

i dont know about everyone else, but i can brew a 5 gal batch for $30-$50.
a 5 gal batch = 60 12oz bottles. $50/60 bottles= 83cents per brew and they always taste better than the commercial variety!

Options in Australia are pretty limited, but to be fair we have a lot smaller market than America.

I really like Billabong Brewing's GF pale ale, but at $80 a carton plus shipping, it really adds up.

The O'Briens beers seem to finish with a weird after taste that I don't get with my sorghum malt beers. These are $20 AUD a six pack.

The Schnitzer Brau are my preferred Gluten Free beer, but are $26 a six pack.

Brewing my own works out at $60 for a minimum of 24 x 750mL bottles. And I so far have loved all the beers I've made.

I tried it on tap over at Twisted Pine and remember thinking at the time, "please don't ever let me become allergic to gluten!"

Just went to the lhbs and it looks like they are carrying new planets tread lightly ale. Least hey have a poster for it

I get that some people say that it doesn't taste like their other favorite beer. I just think that it is a different style and flavor all together. I'm not surprised when Wit doesn't taste like Stout, and I'm not surprised when sorghum tastes different than barley.

I like the sorghum tang, although I understand it isn't for everyone.

I certainly wasn't a fan, but I also can't stand wheat beers, so my palate might not be entirely reliable.

this is just a personal opinion. i feel that when the citrus zest and the sorghum twang are joined together, it becomes a bit overpowering. and even more so when those are added with a really citrusy hop variety.

with the new planet, i can drink one of em. but any more than that and its just to much 'twang' for me and almosts tastes metallic

My wife is gluten intolerant, and loves beer almost as much as me, so we were were pretty lucky to be in fort colllins when she discovered "oh crap, no more beer". The Tread Lightly from New Planet would do in a pinch if we were out (a very large proportion of the places we ate carried it, so she could still have a couple of beers while I was drinking belgians, etc... at a bar). The 3Rs rasberry beer is quite tasty (fruit beer character overpowers GF beer charater), but expensive (7 or 8 bucks for a bomber). The just started selling it in 4 or 6 packs, which I think are more reasonably priced. They also have a fairly well-hopped pale ale called off grid, which we both like more than greens, and as well or better than st. peters (and more affordable than either). We even were given a free 4 pack months ago while at the ft. collins brewery from one of the brewers who we were talking shop with. He felt so bad that my wife knew so much about beer and couldn't drink it that he gave us some bottles before the label was approved. Apparently the owner in boulder makes the recipes, and the brewers at ft. collins use their know-how to make it work. It was pretty crazy seeing the 50 gallon blue plastic drums of liquid sorghum malt in the back of the brewhouse (as far as I know, they use corn sugars in the recipes as welll).

Back