Mixing Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmity

Reaction score
is it ok to mix different yeasts ?
i've got chamagne and cider yeast and was thinking of using half of each packet to see if it gives a different taste ?

is this ok ? , will it make any difference ?

I think that usually the "stronger" yeast takes over and will ferment the batch, but it might be an interesting experiment to see what actually happens.

I think that usually the "stronger" yeast takes over and will ferment the batch, but it might be an interesting experiment to see what actually happens.
I've always heard this too. I keep thinking it would be an interesting experiment, but you'd have to use 2 yeasts that give drastically different flavour in order to be able to tell. Like using Nottingham and a hefeweizen yeast or something. Not sure how a hefeweizen cider would be though. :confused:

Why not split the batch & do half with each yeast? This will give you a much better idea. Or split it three ways and do a cider, a champaign and a mix.

I suspect in the mix the cider yeast will dominate because champaign yeast is relatively slow.

Or make a triple, One with each yeast, one with both? I just read a recipe in the last day or 2...maybe in the complete mead maker??? That actually called for 2 different yeast strains.

Someone posted this link in the last few days. It compares many wine yeasts and discusses their ability to dominate other strains.

Paul

Back