Initial Gravity too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worty

Reaction score
I checked the beginning gravity before I pitched the yeast. I read about 1.042 to 1.044 on the hydrometer. There was some foam, so I'm not sure exactly where it was. The wort was 86 degrees, so I add .003 giving me 1.045 to 1.047. The directions call for a beginning gravity of 1.049-1.051. Am I screwed?

Also, I wasn't sure when to start timing the boil. I heated until it foamed up, removed it from heat for a little bit, then brought it back to a boil again. It didn't seem to want to foam up again, so I started timing the boil. After 15 minutes, I added a spanish moss tablet and it started to foam again a little. Does spanish moss make it foam or should I have started timing the boil after the second foam up?

You will be fine, its not uncommon to miss by a few points, you can check it sooner and keep boiling if it is too low next time.

worty said:
Also, I wasn't sure when to start timing the boil. I heated until it foamed up, removed it from heat for a little bit, then brought it back to a boil again. It didn't seem to want to foam up again, so I started timing the boil. After 15 minutes, I added a spanish moss tablet and it started to foam again a little. Does spanish moss make it foam or should I have started timing the boil after the second foam up?

Try a spray bottle and spray the foam down when your foam gets crazy.

And do worry about the foam. A wise man once told me...beer is foam and foam is beer. (At least with already brewed beer).

They make foam control drops that do exactly what they say. The eliminate foam and keep your stove from becoming a mess.
I use them on every brew and in my primary to prevent blowoff.

Back