Malta ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptop

Reaction score
Anyone made this sweet malty drink ?
I tried it when I was in South America,
It was used as a breakfast drink with a egg blended in it
Now my wife would like if I'd try an make it.
Any help?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any help?
Thanks

I recently had the pleasure to brew a malta up, my brother in law had made a batch of beer, it was an Irish red, and he didn't sparge his spent grains, so I figured they would have a small amount of flavor I could use to make a malta, So I went for it and it turned out excellent and there was more than enough flavor, it was very cloudy because I didn't filter out the starch proteins but that didn't bother me. I couldn't say exactly how much pounds of grains I used but there was at least 2, I used about a gallon of water and I also added about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of molasses.

I'm sure if you made a batch from non spent grains it would be a lot stronger than mine, But I was pretty surprised at the strength of it, I mashed the grains between 175 and 190 for an hour and I used nottingham yeast. Happy brewing!

This sounds interesting. Can you give a bit more details for a newbie

This sounds interesting. Can you give a bit more details for a newbie

Aye I can do that, sorry for the long wait to your answer. Basically what a Malta is is a weak unfermented beer, it doesn't have to be weak, but it's cheaper and tastes just as good. It all boils down to how much malted grains you use, you usually want to use 2 row pale malt, and some chocolate malt or roasted barley for color. The one other 2 ingredients are molasses and cane sugar, you can use however much of those your taste buds desire.

There's really not much more to it, just heat up some water in a large pot to 174 degrees F then throw your grains in and hold the temperature to 165-175 for one hour, after strain out all the grains and add molasses and some cane sugar, sweeten to your desire. if you want more information this guide should help you out.Happy brewing! http://www.instructables.com/id/Malta-Soda/

I recently had the pleasure to brew a malta up, my brother in law had made a batch of beer, it was an Irish red, and he didn't sparge his spent grains, so I figured they would have a small amount of flavor I could use to make a malta, So I went for it and it turned out excellent and there was more than enough flavor, it was very cloudy because I didn't filter out the starch proteins but that didn't bother me. I couldn't say exactly how much pounds of grains I used but there was at least 2, I used about a gallon of water and I also added about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of molasses.

I'm sure if you made a batch from non spent grains it would be a lot stronger than mine, But I was pretty surprised at the strength of it, I mashed the grains between 175 and 190 for an hour and I used nottingham yeast. Happy brewing!

You remashed the spent grain at 175-190 for an hour? Is that correct?

Any help?
Thanks

I drink Malta India like it's water. My father also made "ponche" for me with Malta when I lived with my parents.

Here's exactly how he made it (we had it with grape juice).
http://tlloh.com/ponche-de-huevo

These are ok basic instructions here, but the instructables recipe has instructions for carbonating. Are you familiar with bottle carbonating beer or cider? Or other soda?

Remember that if you bottle carb soda, then you have to either refrigerate or or pasteurize it. It may/will explode if you don't.

Malta Goya has hops in it. I am thinking it would require a 30-60 minute boil with one bittering addition. But it's really not very bitter, so probably only a small amount.

These are ok basic instructions here, but the instructables recipe has instructions for carbonating. Are you familiar with bottle carbonating beer or cider? Or other soda?

Remember that if you bottle carb soda, then you have to either refrigerate or or pasteurize it. It may/will explode if you don't.

Malta Goya has hops in it. I am thinking it would require a 30-60 minute boil with one bittering addition. But it's really not very bitter, so probably only a small amount.

I have not experimented with adding in hops, so I'm unable to help you there, for carbonation you can either add your yeast to the bulk and wait till the ferment starts and then bottle it, OR you can put a tiny amount of yeast in each bottle and cap them and let them sit for 2-3 days, 1/8 Tsp of yeast is the correct amount, I may be wrong though.

I have not experimented with adding in hops, so I'm unable to help you there, for carbonation you can either add your yeast to the bulk and wait till the ferment starts and then bottle it, OR you can put a tiny amount of yeast in each bottle and cap them and let them sit for 2-3 days, 1/8 Tsp of yeast is the correct amount, I may be wrong though.

I was trying to answer the OP, not ask this question :). Is there a sticky about bottle carbing soda? There should be. Pretty sure there is for sweet sparkling cider, and it would be the same.

I was trying to answer the OP, not ask this question :). Is there a sticky about bottle carbing soda? There should be. Pretty sure there is for sweet sparkling cider, and it would be the same.
My bad good sir, I agree though, there should be a bottle carbing thread stickied, that would help out a lot of people.

With malta you don't add yeast? Is there a recipe somewhere. Might try this today with my left over malt

With malta you don't add yeast? Is there a recipe somewhere. Might try this today with my left over malt

You add yeast if you're bottle carbing but just a little. If you keg, you don't need yeast. Malta is soda - unfermented malt soda, basically.

So jyst some yeast with left over malt and straigyt into the bottle

Wow , lots of good info
But is there a nice fool proof step by step recipe for a rookie like myself to follow ?
I can see myself screw this one up on afew levels with this info .

Thanks again

Wow , lots of good info
But is there a nice fool proof step by step recipe for a rookie like myself to follow ?
I can see myself screw this one up on afew levels with this info .

Thanks again

Okay here we go

Step one: Take your malted grains and throw em in that big pot of hot water (170-180 degrees F, I would use a pound of base malt per gallon of water. (Some should correct me if this is too much malted grains)

Step two: keep em grains at a steady temperature in between 170-180 for exactly one hour.

Step 3: At the end of the mash, strain out all of your grains and add about 1 cup of cane sugar per gallon of wort, and about 1/2 - 1/4 of molasses per gallon of wort. (It's up to you and your taste buds to figure this one out mostly)

Step four: Cool down your mash via wort chiller, icecube water in your sink, ETC, you get the jist, till it's about room temperature. then funnel it into your choice of bottles (I'm assuming you're using 12 oz beer bottles for this)

Step five: Add your yeast choice! you can go 2 ways with this. You can, one: Add some yeast to your whole mash and wait for the beginning signs of fermentation to start then bottle it, OR two: you can add about 1/8 Tsp of yeast to each bottle of malta. Either way should work well enough.

Step six: Leave all your malta bottles on the counter to bottle carb, (BE CAREFUL ON THIS STEP FOR EXPLODING BOTTLES) when the carbonation is to your liking, put all your bottles in the refrigerator to slow down the yeast cells and make your malta cold.

Step seven: Enjoy your hard labors profits!

Additional information: I use Red Star Champagne yeast for all my soda, it's clean tasting and it goes dormant in the fridge fairly well.

Also, if you plan to put hops in your malta know that a little bit go a long way depending on the hop, I would add them in for the last fifteen or ten minutes of the mash.

And depending on the type of yeast you use, the first way of bottle carbing on step five may or may not leave a yeasty taste in your malta.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

I have quite a few 7lb bags of liquid extract can I use that instead of grains? When I open one it smells like a concentrated Malta

Back