A question about siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapy45

Reaction score
Still working on my first batch, a BB American Light that my dad and I started this past Sunday. OG was 1.045 when I pitched yeast. Then fermented at 70-72 degrees. Took a reading today of 1.010. While racking into a secondary, I noticed air bubbles in the line with the wort. It started at about the half way mark and became more prominent as we got to the bottom. Is this normal??

I've had that happen for two reasons. Either with the auto siphon leaking at the inner tubes seal against the outer tube. sucking it dry and pulling air from above the seal. Which I would just keep dumping water or sanitizer to keep it full. Or you may have 3/8 inch tubing on a 3/8 cane. You need 5/16 for a good seal

No, not normal and it may have caused some oxidation depending on the degree of O2 infusion created in the beer.

I've had that on every batch I've ever done. I've never had oxidization issues. I use 3/8 inch hosing because the 5/16 hosing won't fit over my racking cane.

duboman said:
No, not normal and it may have caused some oxidation depending on the degree of O2 infusion created in the beer.

I'll clarify my own comment....
It's bad if you are getting lots of big bubbles as there may be a leak.. If its a tiny stream of minuscule bubbles its pretty much the CO2in the beer:)

Back