Need help w/ my BIAB Brew Set-Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mirkin said:
Instead of 2 immersion chillers get a plate chiller or counter flow chiller. Much less water used!

As much as I'd love to have a CFC or PC, the tap water here in Hawaii won't cut it. That means pumping cold water. Also I am not trying to transfer the fluid from my MT to a kettle. They are one and the same. This the whole point of BIAB.

I looked into building a CFC but the cost doesn't fit into my budget currently and I am hell bent on brewing a batch before the month is over. Lol

I can always repurpose my chillers into a CFC later.

I still need a name for my brewery/beer line to come out featured in my basement, I am open to suggestions. My initial thoughts were: the basement brewery; or jungle beer

Hawaiibboy said:
As much as I'd love to have a CFC or PC, the tap water here in Hawaii won't cut it. That means pumping cold water. Also I am not trying to transfer the fluid from my MT to a kettle. They are one and the same. This the whole point of BIAB.

I looked into building a CFC but the cost doesn't fit into my budget currently and I am hell bent on brewing a batch before the month is over. Lol

Please check my post above :) I edited it before I saw your response

I reckon Basement Brewery sounds good. BB with the 1st B reversed so they're back to back. Then if you do labels or graphics you can use stairs, darkness and single lightbulb without a shade as imagery.

I've gone from canned kits to BIAB since Christmas. I had a 20 quart pot, so thought for cost savings I'd start with it and just make 2.5 gallon batches until I nailed my process and saved up for a bigger pot and a cooler (had planned to mash in a cooler lined with a bag).

Long story short, I'm thinking I may stick with the smaller batch size. It allows for more variety, I can afford to brew twice as often, and every aspect of the system and each brew costs less.

I'm blessed with cool Canadian conditions, my groundwater is in the 50's and my basement never gets over 70. It's in the mid to upper 50's from December to April. That helps keep my costs down. My ales this time of year are delicious straight out of the basement, no chilling before drinking required.

Mirkin said:
Please check my post above :) I edited it before I saw your response

I reckon Basement Brewery sounds good. BB with the 1st B reversed so they're back to back. Then if you do labels or graphics you can use stairs, darkness and single lightbulb without a shade as imagery.

Word, I am digging basement brewery...

Hrm... 10gal electric... Sounds intriguing!

So this whole, no chill method seems legit, just haven't done my research into it: is it called no chill because you don't chill the wort before pitching or because you don't chill your fermenter to get proper yeast temps?

For me personally, living in Hawaii, I need the fermentation chamber just to get the yeasties happy in a nice party environment (aka: suggested temps). I have been monitoring the temps in my house, outside and in my basement. I get about an 8-10 degree swing from night to day. 77/69 is tomorrow. My tap water at midnight was 72°; mid-afternoon 80°; noon 78°; mid morning 76° and morning 69°. Hawaii isn't the easiest place to brew...

LTownLiquorPig said:
I've gone from canned kits to BIAB since Christmas. I had a 20 quart pot, so thought for cost savings I'd start with it and just make 2.5 gallon batches until I nailed my process and saved up for a bigger pot and a cooler (had planned to mash in a cooler lined with a bag).

Long story short, I'm thinking I may stick with the smaller batch size. It allows for more variety, I can afford to brew twice as often, and every aspect of the system and each brew costs less.

I'm blessed with cool Canadian conditions, my groundwater is in the 50's and my basement never gets over 70. It's in the mid to upper 50's from December to April. That helps keep my costs down. My ales this time of year are delicious straight out of the basement, no chilling before drinking required.

It's good to hear people's successes with BIAB as I begin my journey into it as well and brewing on my own without the help of two Oregon State fermentation science majors by my side that have been avid home brewers for quite some time.

You are a lucky SOB to have those conditions. You could probably lager naturally outside if you timed it right!

Wow, that's a lot of stuff to have to buy(in response to the original post). I do BIAB with just a big kettle, grain bag and a bucket with a spigot. Well, airlock too and propane set-up(already had from frying turkey). And the big strainer, bottle caps... I may have spent $200 on equipment over time, probably more. Like the hydrometer or 2 that I don't even know how to use. I just look and taste to see when it's ready to bottle. If I was going to buy all that stuff, I'd look on craigslist or something and get someone's old equipment. Let them buy it all new and sell it to me cheap once they have used it a couple times and then got bored with the hobby.

BobbiLynn said:
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to have to buy(in response to the original post). I do BIAB with just a big kettle, grain bag and a bucket with a spigot. Well, airlock too and propane set-up(already had from frying turkey). And the big strainer, bottle caps... I may have spent $200 on equipment over time, probably more. Like the hydrometer or 2 that I don't even know how to use. I just look and taste to see when it's ready to bottle. If I was going to buy all that stuff, I'd look on craigslist or something and get someone's old equipment. Let them buy it all new and sell it to me cheap once they have used it a couple times and then got bored with the hobby.

I am basically getting all the same things you have just that I'll have two primary fermenters and two secondary fermenters. I didn't have a turkey fryer set up so no burner and kettle. I am also getting a fridge though since I live in Hawaii.

Not a lot of people selling their brewing supplies on CL here. Saw two 'starter kits' on CL. One was used a few times and the guy wanted $350 for two plastic bucket fermenters siphon and a few other things but no kettle or burner, no bottle capper. It was absurd! It was a similar deal with the other but they had a burner and 5gal kettle, 600.

I got the bulk of my equipment for about $500, Including shipping (I do live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean). The shipping is what killed me. If I was still in Oregon or had moved to Cali it would have been $350

I am basically getting all the same things you have just that I'll have two primary fermenters and two secondary fermenters. I didn't have a turkey fryer set up so no burner and kettle. I am also getting a fridge though since I live in Hawaii.

Not a lot of people selling their brewing supplies on CL here. Saw two 'starter kits' on CL. One was used a few times and the guy wanted $350 for two plastic bucket fermenters siphon and a few other things but no kettle or burner, no bottle capper. It was absurd! It was a similar deal with the other but they had a burner and 5gal kettle, 600.

I got the bulk of my equipment for about $500, Including shipping (I do live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean). The shipping is what killed me. If I was still in Oregon or had moved to Cali it would have been $350

I actually do have 6 fermenters, and a dozen airlocks. But purchased over time and some that I inherited from grandfather's moonshine days. I have probably spent a lot more than I realize. And if you count the found items, if I would have had to purchase them new, would add up even more. Just looking at the cost for a complete set-up kind of shocked me.

BobbiLynn said:
I actually do have 6 fermenters, and a dozen airlocks. But purchased over time and some that I inherited from grandfather's moonshine days. I have probably spent a lot more than I realize. And if you count the found items, if I would have had to purchase them new, would add up even more. Just looking at the cost for a complete set-up kind of shocked me.

Oh cool! Yeah, the initial cost is steep, but the way I look at it this way:

I drink about 6-8 12oz craft/micros a week at about $4-$16 a piece. That's anywhere between $24-$128 a week.

The ingredients for a three gal brew are about $20-$50, and make about 32 12oz bottles. That's a unit cost of about $0.63 - $1.50, or $3.72-$12 a week. So even with a large grain bill I'm saving about $12-$116 a week. My brewery will pay for itself in about two months, or 2-3 batches!

It's all about perspective :)

So now the hard part: not buying beer until I have "paid off" my brewery by making 2-3 batches. My first batch should only take 3-4 weeks so I can start drinking again in about 4 weeks! Lol

So another update on my setup:

The CL guy got back to me and I got the freezer! It should hold about five to six, 5gal fermenters or four 6.5gal fermenters as well as 2-4 3gal fermenters. I returned the lowes freezer.

I also got my wort chiller and pre-chiller finished today with the help of my buddy.

Here is a photo of them!

image-3537361766.jpg

The 30' IC (left) was a little hard to roll around the bucket I decided to use and it didn't turn out as "professional" but it will get the job done! The 20' pre chiller was rolled around an old paint can I had and came out great! Tested them for leaks and everything seems to working great.

The pre chiller has a 10' inlet line that connects with a 3/4" female hose adapter (either to another hose or direct) and a 5' outlet tube that connects to the IC. The IC has a 5' outlet tube as well.

I had about 15' left over of 3/8"ID tubing so that is going to become my siphon tubing and bottling tubing.

I'm going to cut them each to 5' and use one as standard siphon tubing one as aerated siphon tubing and the other as a spare/backup.

No chill just means you're not crash chilling your wort, thrown it in a HDPE water container, often cube shaped, and leave it somewhere cool until it cools down naturally. The real key is making sure there is minimal/no air in it and its sealed TIGHT.

I've left a couple of no chill cubes in the garage for 3 months+ with no ill effects once. I had to change my brewing schedule to get a brew ready for Xmas and to leave an IPA, I then forgot about it in a house move and then found it when I got the whole garage unpacked.

Really great alternative that saves water and takes a lot of time off brew day. Google search 'aussiehomebrewer no-chill' for lots of good info. It's very popular here in Australia simply because of frequent droughts, but even without water restrictions many of us stick with it because its preferable for us.

Electric BIAB is the bomb, can even brew inside if the weather is **** outside - wind rain hail shine or tropical storms.

Mirkin said:
No chill just means you're not crash chilling your wort, thrown it in a HDPE water container, often cube shaped, and leave it somewhere cool until it cools down naturally. The real key is making sure there is minimal/no air in it and its sealed TIGHT.

I've left a couple of no chill cubes in the garage for 3 months+ with no ill effects once. I had to change my brewing schedule to get a brew ready for Xmas and to leave an IPA, I then forgot about it in a house move and then found it when I got the whole garage unpacked.

Really great alternative that saves water and takes a lot of time off brew day. Google search 'aussiehomebrewer no-chill' for lots of good info. It's very popular here in Australia simply because of frequent droughts, but even without water restrictions many of us stick with it because its preferable for us.

Electric BIAB is the bomb, can even brew inside if the weather is **** outside - wind rain hail shine or tropical storms.

Dude, that is pretty cool! Pun intended...

I will find out what happens, I will be brewing either tonight or maybe tomorrow morning!

So the rest of my gear is out for delivery! I'll be posting some pics of my inaugural brew day for all!

I have my freezer, IC, pre chiller and temp control, the NB shipment got held up due to some weather delays.

Thanks to all who have helped me put this together!

Back