Scrub Oak for Oaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurntMango

Reaction score
Today, I found some nice gambel oak / scrub oak logs in my chord of firewood and couldn't resist the possibility of using it for oaking wine/beer/liquor. Does anyone know if scrub oak specifically is inferior for this application? I cannot find anything online about it. My only guess is that its relatively small size makes it commercially impractical compared to popular distillery oaks. I know I can just experiment and find out, but it would be nice to get some established information before potentially wasting my time.

Thanks!

From what I read on Gambel Oak, it should impart a nice flavor, I little different from white oak, but much better than trying to use red oak. I don't know if the wood has properties of the fruit (acorns) but if so it will be interesting to see if the wood imparts any lysine into your wine for which the acorns are famous?

Back