Swamp Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOLA_NICK

Reaction score
I am using a swamp cooler for the first time due to the heat here in Louisiana and I have a question. Do you put the fermentation bucket in the cooler right after you transfer from BK and pitching the yeast?

Thanks in advance. :mug:

Insert it before it becomes very active. If you have the cooler at 65 then you may want to wait 12 hours beforehand to get things rolling.

I always put the fermenter in the swamp cooler right away. The object is to keep the temperature of the wort from rising to high during the beginning of the fermentation.

I also put it in the bucket after I pitch the yeast. As mentioned, it takes some time for the fermenter to 'match' or come close to the swamp cooler water.

Since I'm also a in the Big Easy area, I know how hard it is to keep things cool but as I use this I should tell you that if you go too cool, it takes a day or so to warm it up so I would suggest starting with fewer ice packs or frozen bottles (or whatever you use) and lowering the temp slowly.

Cheers

Back