Cyser question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I am making a cherry apple cyser and it looks like the OG is going to come out at about 1.156. I was planning on using D-47 for a sweet mead.

My question is only fermenting out 14% of the total 19% will that be too sweet?

That is a really high OG. Fermentation can be difficult at that level, so you may want to consider dropping the OG. I believe an OG of 1.156 would have a potential alcohol of closer to 21% (assuming you could get a yeast to go that far). Assuming you can get D-47 fermenting at that high OG, fermenting to 14% will only drop your gravity about 106 points, so you'd end up around 1.050. That is really sweet. Dessert meads start at 1.040.

thanks for the input, the recipe is
3 gallons apple juice
1 gallon tart cherry juice
12 lbs honey.

You think if i just dropped 2 lbs of honey that would make enough of a difference, that OG looks like it is calculating at 1.138.

I'm also curious about your OG calcs. With 12 lbs of honey and 4 gallons of juice, I'd guess your OG would be closer to 1.125. I don't think you could hit 1.156 unless you're using apple or cherry concentrate.

i was taking [(1 gallon cherry juice x 1.041) + (3 gallon apple juice x 1.050)]/4 which got me 4 gallons at 1.048. Then i used the calculator over at gotmead using 1.048 as my starting in 4 gallons with the total volume at 4 gallons adding 12 lbs honey.

I assumed that would get me the OG.....Did i do something wrong?

Ahhh I see, i wasn't sure what the displacement of the honey to water/juice ratio would be. So then 12 lbs with D-47 should take it right around 1.020. Thanks for all the help.

Back