Rye Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
So far I've only been brewing with Brewers Best kits. I was thinking of using the Pilsners kit and adding some rye. Know is it as easy as steeping some milled rye for about a half hour? Or do you think the brew store might have rye extract?

as far as I know, rye extract doesnt exist. rye malt needs to be mashed, but it does have enough diastatic power to convert itself. mashing isn't all that different from steeping though. just steep it in 1-2qts/lb @150-160F for 60mins. 30mins may not get full conversion, but you'll still get flavor/color from it, however there may be a slight haze from leftover starches. more water may stretch the enzymes too thin, but up to 4qt/lb may be ok for at least partial conversion.

So far I've only been brewing with Brewers Best kits. I was thinking of using the Pilsners kit and adding some rye. Know is it as easy as steeping some milled rye for about a half hour? Or do you think the brew store might have rye extract?

if you end up making this i'd really be interested in how it turns out. please update when you can. cheers

I've read that when you use rye you should also add some rice hulls to keep the rye from becoming a sticky mess. Or something like that. :mug:

I've read that when you use rye you should also add some rice hulls to keep the rye from becoming a sticky mess. Or something like that. :mug:

Only if you're using a MLT or something that may "stick" when you try to lauter. If you're using a bag (like in a partial mash in a bag), it'll be fine. I've done some rye beers without rice hulls without a problem, as long as there was less than about 15% rye or so.

I have a 1 gal Roggensbier fermenting now. It had 1 lb or 40% rye in a bag doing a partial mash of sorts. I say this as it was my frist partial atttempt. I added 2 oz of rice hulls. Don't know if they made much difference.

Back