DME clumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
My last beer was done outside in the wind and while sprinkling my DME on the wort while stirring I was getting lots of clumps on the spoon and on the side of the pot. I stirred and stirred and got most of them out but there were still clumps while I was boiling. My beer turned out fine but was a little weak in the flavor. Anyone have any tricks to minimize clumping and could this be cause of the weak flavor? I'm sure since I was sprinkling it in some blew away in the wind and the clumps on the spoon and side couldn't help. I did hit my OG and was a little high on my FG

I've basically taken clumping as one of the hazards of using DME, much like requiring one to take the kettle off the flame is a hazard of LME. I usually add DME with a bit of time left in the boil if I can, as that almost always takes care of the majority of the clumps. I haven't found any means of reducing them myself, but I just ignore them :).

And no, I can't see how this would've changed the flavor of your beer, especially if you hit your target OG.

+1 to adding a small amount at a time, back in my extract days i added about 5lbs at once, i ended up scooping it out with a blender and hitting puree... not fun...

When I use DME I put it all in to a SS mixing bowl inside the house before brewing. I add it a pound or two at a time and use my Mix-Stir on a drill (Think of a paint mixer for brewing.) to mix it in before adding more. Once everything is mixed up I can dunk the SS bowl in to the kettle to dissolve any clumps that are leftover in the bowl.

Whisk it in slowly. I don't pour from the bag I first pour DME into a bowl then add a little at a time while whisking. I have a nice large whisk I bought recently too. Never one issue with clumping this way.

Rev.

Isn't whisking asking for hot aeration oxydation? The batch I just did with DME, I stirred it to a fast swirl, then slowly streamed the DME in so it would get taken up by the whirlpool and pulled away from where I was pouring. Worked great.

I splash my wort around with no issues, I'm with the clan that believes HSA is a myth...

Isn't whisking asking for hot aeration oxydation?

No, because you are boiling after adding the DME. I boil my DME the full 60 minutes since I didn't see any color difference in an experiment I did. But even those that do late additions are still boiling 10-15 minutes after adding. Done 6 or 7 batches so far whisking in the DME with no problems at all with off flavors. Most others do this too and haven't mentioned any sort of problem. I use this whisk since I needed a long one:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=119124

I have the 15 3/4" one. Pro quality whisk.

Rev.

A lot of recipes I've been doing (and constructing, of late) have at least a portion of the DME added at flameout, so I wouldn't say you're always boiling afterwards. I tend to delay addition as much as possible simply because I brew a lot of hop-forward brews and I want to maximize my extraction. Hell, my last batch I almost forgot to add the damn stuff and ended up doing it *while* chilling. And yeah, that made for worse clumps ;).

I scoop some wort out, create a slurry with the remaining DME and add it back in at about the 15 minute mark.

Back