Direct Fire HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
Anybody out there using propane or NG to heat their HLT? I'm thinking of going this route and have a PID control my burner via Honeywell's Y8610U. The only thing I'm worried about is that it will open and close the gas solenoid too frequently.

Also, I'm trying to find the best place to put thermowell's on my rig. I understand that placing the probe to maintain my mash temp should be at the HERMS coil exit before it heads back into the MLT. Should this be the only temp probe on my rig?

Anybody out there using propane or NG to heat their HLT? I'm thinking of going this route and have a PID control my burner via Honeywell's Y8610U. The only thing I'm worried about is that it will open and close the gas solenoid too frequently.

Also, I'm trying to find the best place to put thermowell's on my rig. I understand that placing the probe to maintain my mash temp should be at the HERMS coil exit before it heads back into the MLT. Should this be the only temp probe on my rig?

I can't answer anything about the gas and solenoid valves, but as for the temp probe....

I have an eHERMS and the only probe I have in the system is the one mounted in the output of my coil.

At the beginning, when I am heating strike water, the coil is in the HLT and I pump the HLT's own water through it. Just a closed circulation of water, but lets me control the water temp.

The frequency of how often the gas is opened will be related to the differential you set on the controller. If you want a 155F mash, you'd have to set your controller to something like 158F (you'll figure that out over time). Now, should the gas come on when it drops to 157 or 156 or?

Also, putting a stirring motor into the HLT will stabilize temp fluctuations.

I've always leaned towards RIMS tube systems myself.

Latest posts

Back