Only bine got cut/broken. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarnosh

Reaction score
I planted 4 new rhizomes mid April and 3 sprouted. 2 of them only gave me 1 sprout and 1 of them gave 4. The problem is one of the sprouts that was doing well somehow got broken or cut near the tip. There's no new growth (length). The leaves are growing big, but it isn't getting longer. Is all lost? Is it done growing? There are no other sprouts from this rhizome to take its place. My nifty zizzag trellis is going to be so empty. :(

Is there anything I can do to get an otherwise healthy bine to heal and continue growing?

Sometimes a broken bine will put out a side shoot that will transform into a tip, but even if it doesn't, any and all growth this year will make for a stronger plant next year.

Most of the hop cones develop on sidearms (which can be up to 4' long), so you probably get some hops anyway.

my cascade did that last year. I just left it as it was and it grew 3 or 4 side shoots that never got over a foot or so. however, this year it broke ground with about10-15 shoots and is doing great. I say just leave it as is and next year it will be good.

What about a 2nd year?

I cut my hops back because everyone said it will lead to a more uniform and later growth cycle, which is prefered. I have no issue with this idea. What I've noticed is after I did my cut back, only two bines have grown back.

They are strong large bines and they are growing well, fast, and are healthy. I fear one or both of them breaking. I'm am also curious, "Where's all the small growth?" Literately two bines after I cut back the initial growth. Should I be concerned?

The hop is Chinnook if it matters.

Hope I'm not changing topics to much. Answers to the original question are still insightful to me.

What about a 2nd year?

I cut my hops back because everyone said it will lead to a more uniform and later growth cycle, which is prefered. I have no issue with this idea. What I've noticed is after I did my cut back, only two bines have grown back.

They are strong large bines and they are growing well, fast, and are healthy. I fear one or both of them breaking. I'm am also curious, "Where's all the small growth?" Literately two bines after I cut back the initial growth. Should I be concerned?

The hop is Chinnook if it matters.

Hope I'm not changing topics to much. Answers to the original question are still insightful to me.

The same thing happened to me...and worse yet, one of the two shoots that re-sprouted is blocked by the other one! So I have one shoot that hogs all the light and one or two small ones that are just sitting there dormant. This is a second year plant as well. I wish I had left it alone...

Normally when a Hop vine looses a head or the top part of the shoot, There will be side arms that will start coming out. Take one of the top two and train that to your string and that will become the dominate grower.

Back