just ran out of propane!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I did a search for similar posts but didnt find anything....i ran out of propane about 40 minutes into the boil. I just ran out and got the tank exchanged and continued boiling. any big problems with this?

Same thing happened to me. Same day I bought another tank, though since I have been lazy all I have now is 1 empty tank and 1 half empty. lol.

I always end up asking my wife very sweetly to go refill my extra tank near the end of my mash. I'd be lost without here help.

As long as you hadn't added the flavor/aroma hops, you won't notice anything.

I can leave my empties down by the main tank and the propane guy fills them, but he only comes around twice a year. Tapping into the main line is on The List.

You'll be fine, it's happened to all of us. Cruise around Craig's list for a while, you'll find one for cheap. I didn't get an extra tank until a few months ago, but it is great. No more lifting the tank and guessing if you have enough for an hour boil.

I ran out, went to exchange and continued the boil. The next day I snagged a 100lb and a 20lb tank both for $40 from Craigslist. I refuse to run totally out again.

I built my heat stick because of running out of propane a few brews ago. Sure makes winter brewing a less pain in the ass.

I have three tanks... two for brewing and one on my grill. Lol... a couple brews ago during a 120min boil... ALL THREE ran out! HAHAH!! I killed the primary tank, realized my spare was bone dry, so grabbed by grill tank. That has like 15 minutes worth of gas and I ended the boil with the tank running out. Ya.. could have sucked more.

I have 2 tanks. One always has a blue plastic seal on it.

(IE, I don't touch the spare until the primary is dead. When the spare replaces the primary, the primary gets filled ASAP and becomes the spare)

Sorry for the ignorant question, but why do some of you have propane at your house? I've seen those big tanks outside in the country sometimes back East but always wondered why. Is it cheaper than electric heating and you don't have access to natural gas?

P.S. - I'm going out an backup a backup propane tank tonight, tomorrow is brew day!

Back