The great starter debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pugilist said:
Yes according to Palmer (as we know an expert), it is actually detrimental to make a starter with dry yeast.

Exactly, you would end up the same if you just dumped some of the dry yeast in the trash and then hydrated per the manufacturers directions. Probably better off pitching it dry than making a starter with it

timdsmith72 said:
I guess I technically just hydrate them. I add the packet to some water with a little sugar in it and let it sit for a few hours until it gets some foam on top.
I didn't know whether to call this a mini starter or just hydrating...

A starter is mixing water with something fermentable, pitching the yeast and letting it ferment out before pitching into the main batch. Rehydrating is just that, mixing dry yeast in plain water between 80-100F. If you're adding sugar, you're technically "proofing" the yeast but you should only do that after the yeast has been fully hydrated for about 20 minutes. The sugar you add is really not doing any good and at worst it's about the same as dry pitching.

Pugilist said:
Ahh ok that you are supposed to do. Thought you were making an actual starter with it, was curious if it has been working if you did! :tank:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html
Yep, it's been working great! I've made about 15 batches like that.
I've also made about 10 or 15 batches with White Labs liquid yeast with no starter and that has worked great so far also. Cooking a batch today actually.
Franziskaner Hefe Weissen.

8 years later.... :D

I do make a starter from dry yeast. I can my own wort for it when I have time and grain is dirt cheap as is my time being retired. My house ale that took 14 days to ferment is often ready to bottle in 5 days with a big starter.

Latest posts

Back