Secondary addition ideas for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erichowerton

Reaction score
I'm about to move my monster (100+ IBU) IPA to the secondary to clarify and I was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions for IPA late additions. I'm kind of interested in siphoning off a gallon or two and adding something to it just for the sake of experimentation, though I know a lot of fruit won't stand up to the IBUs being as strong as they are. Any good suggestions? Black pepper? Chipotles? Lime peel? I'd be happy to hear what you recommend and what you do not recommend.

Thanks,
Eric

Bottled: Gingered Pale Ale

Smellysell,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm one of those rare people who hates mangoes though! (I know, I know, who hates mangoes, right?)

But I have a question for you because I'm very intrigued by what beers you've got brewing. Is your Imperial Saison just a high gravity saison or have you altered it in another way? And also, for your sour ales, are you just aging them an extra long time and letting them go sour or are you using a specialty malt that lends more sourness to the mix? And finally, what's JAOM?

Thanks for the help/info.

Smellysell,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm one of those rare people who hates mangoes though! (I know, I know, who hates mangoes, right?)

But I have a question for you because I'm very intrigued by what beers you've got brewing. Is your Imperial Saison just a high gravity saison or have you altered it in another way? And also, for your sour ales, are you just aging them an extra long time and letting them go sour or are you using a specialty malt that lends more sourness to the mix? And finally, what's JAOM?

Thanks for the help/info.

DON'T LIKE MANGOES!!! :eek:

The Saison was supposed to be a Foret clone which would have been big anyways, but it was my first batch I started getting better efficiency on so it's going to be ~11%. It's basically just a high gravity saison with a little acid malt in there to give it a touch of tartness.

The sours I infected with oak cubes that I placed in a big mason jar with with some wort, the wyeast lambic blend, and then poured the dregs from any sour beer I drink into.

JAOM is Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Back