Substitutions for organic beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switters

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a complete newbie - I have yet to brew my first batch. I just bought John Palmer's How to Brew and am about 3/4 of the way through. On p.136 he gives a recipe for a porter (one of my favorite styles) which involves steeping specialty grains, including crystal 60 L, chocolate and black malt.

Since chocolate porters are among my favorite beers, I really want to make this. However, I'd like to make it using organic ingredients. Seven Bridges Cooperative carries organic brewing ingredients so I checked there to see if they have everything I need.

They have the malt extract and grains listed in John's recipe. However, they do not have the same varieties of hops (Horizon 12% and Willamette 5%) the recipe calls for.

Does anyone know which of the hops listed on their site would be good substitutes for the Horizon 12% and Willamette 5%?

Also, John didn't specify whole or pellet hops. Is that important in this recipe?

Thanks for your help. I'm really looking forward to making my first batch!

Back