Clover Honey vs Regular Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
I just got done with my first batch of beer. Its in the bottle and I am now working on my second.

I decided to go with Charlie Papazian's Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager. The recipe calls for clover honey. I went to the farmers market today to get clover and they didnt have any. They did however have regular "wildflower" honey. I bought some thinking I could use this instead.

Do I have to use clover honey or will this honey be fine?

Also any tips for this recipe? And also for lagering since this is my first time. Thanks guys.

I went with this recipe last night, except going as an Ale opposed to a Lager. I think he would want you to experiment instead of following to a T. If you like the scent and the taste of the wildflower honey, I don't think that you will have any problem.

I was able to find clover honey at a big chain store for about 12 bucks for 3 pounds, if you change your mind.

Clover honey is the mass-market, super filtered honey you buy at the supermarket. It's fine if all you want is more alcohol and lightness. Local, wild, unfiltered wildflower honey will have much more flavor and aroma and it's the far better choice when you want some honey flavor in the beer.

oh good to hear. i definitely want to taste the honey. i cant wait to brew this batch. i also like the sound of using ale yeast. i might try that too.

Clover honey is the mass-market, super filtered honey you buy at the supermarket. It's fine if all you want is more alcohol and lightness. Local, wild, unfiltered wildflower honey will have much more flavor and aroma and it's the far better choice when you want some honey flavor in the beer.

+1 Experiment! Try Star thistle and orange blossom honeys too! They're excellent! Luckily, My LHBS owner keeps bees and is really into mead making, so I have a really good selection at a close proximity to my house. Never made a mead though, I've used it in beers. That's it... Time to make a mead!!:mug:

Agree with previous posters, I've made a couple meads with clover (not doing that again) and they lack character. They'll get you :drunk: , but they're nothing special. If (when) I make another mead, I'm looking forward to trying out orange blossom honey.

Damn, I am now very excited to brew this batch. If only I had enough space in my fermentation fridge to bottle condition and primary ferment at the same time I would do it tomorrow. But alas, I must wait two weeks for bottle conditioning

I like the wild flower better in fact i like it so much i went out and bought a 5 gallon bucket. Queencity is right abought stat thisle honny if you can get your hands on it try it. If you end up likeing this lager try it with agave nectar its absoluty fantastic. good luck with your brew.

Back