Terrible Brew Day - WIND and COLD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I was looking forward to brewing my Orange Blossom Special today, and my objective was to start around 1130am because I had some appointments later in the afternoon. The brew session would be quick and easy because it was an all-extract brew with no specialty grains. I was excited about the first use of a turkey fryer that was given to me for an outside 5-gallon boil and getting to use my new immersion chiller all in one day.

This is the setup that I was using (in a different location - I made this photo yesterday afternoon)...

3298664341_711f7b2e18.jpg

Since it was cold and breezy outside, I decided to use hot tap water from inside to get the boil started a little quicker, so I loaded up the kettle and fired it up, starting out with water that was about 130 degrees. About the time I lit the burner, the wind picked up. The wind was averaging 15-20 mph with gusts up to 40-45 mph, and the outside temperature was around 35 degrees. It took nearly 90 minutes in that wind to get my water up to a very slight boil. I finally got it boiling enough to add my malt extract and hops. The wind died down enough at that point that I was able to achieve a slow rolling boil and get my break. About 5 minutes past that, the wind kicked back up again, and I lost my boil and never did get it back completely. The wind actually blew out my flame 4 times over the next hour. I have NEVER had that happen before, but I can't recall ever trying to brew in windy conditions either. There were a few occasions during the 60 minutes where I did get a little bit of a boil, but the cooker couldn't maintain it. I was not a happy camper.

This turkey fryer is really nice though. It's nicer than most I have seen so I wanted to give it a try. The kettle holds about 8.5 or 9 gallons, so it's a perfect size for brewing. The biggest problem with it in these conditions is that the burner is not quite close enough to the bottom of the kettle. My other burner (not pictured) would have been a much better choice to use today. I'm sure this turkey fryer would have worked fine without the wind though.

I'm sure the beer will be fine though. I came up just a few points over my expected OG, which is fine and it smelled really nice. I guess today's lesson learned is that WIND is not my friend :)

The chiller performed exceptionally well. I cooled the wort (just a tad over 5 gallons) down to 65 degrees in just under 8 minutes.

The Orange Blossom Special recipe I came up with was a mixture of a couple different recipes I have seen around....

6lbs Wheat DME
1/2 oz Amarillo Hops (8.5% / 30 mins)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 10 mins
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 10 mins
1 oz dried orange peels @ 5 mins
1lb Orange Blossom Honey @ flameout
White Labs WLP-400 Belgian Wit yeast (48 hour starter)

If things go well for me, my next brew might be my first all-grain brew. My mash tun is ready to be built and I might have enough money to buy the Barley Crusher this week :) The addition of those two items to my inventory will, for all practical purposes, complete my home brew rig.

Shroud the base of the burner and stand in really windy conditions. That will keep the flame going and centered under the pot.

Once the boil starts, that wind can be your best friend if boilovers are a threat. I've done full boils for 5gallon batches in my 7 gallon turkey fryer pot and didn't have boilovers when it was windy. Rigged a fan to blow on the kettle after that.

As for cold, remeber there are folks here from MUCH colder climes than North Carolina. Put a freakin jacket on and get on with business!;)

That's a really nice looking stand, and SS is always easier to clean.

So, remember to get you and your stand a jacket for next brewday and you'll be the ****.:D

So, remember to get you and your stand a jacket for next brewday and you'll be the ****.:D

I'm not gonna mess with a skirt for the stand. One of two things will happen next time I have wind to deal with. I'll either use my other burner AND/OR move into the garage. I couldn't get in the garage today for reasons beyond my control... lol

Not to rag on ya but i had the same problems this weekend when i was brewing at about 8 degrees in buffalo with some wicked wind. I do like that garage idea....But I had thought about maybe cutting some tin (which i have seen pics of on here somewhere) and making a barrier around the burner and bottom of the pot, or what about even a tin garbage can. Cut out the bottom like a sleeve? i dunno maybe it could be a lil diy project for the tin knockers out there..

Not to rag on ya but i had the same problems this weekend when i was brewing at about 8 degrees in buffalo with some wicked wind. I do like that garage idea....But I had thought about maybe cutting some tin (which i have seen pics of on here somewhere) and making a barrier around the burner and bottom of the pot, or what about even a tin garbage can. Cut out the bottom like a sleeve? i dunno maybe it could be a lil diy project for the tin knockers out there..

I think the best solution to the problem would be to form a conical piece of thin aluminum and fasten it some way to the burner itself between the burner and the kettle. The sleeve idea sounds doable without a ton of trouble too.

This turkey fryer I have, no matter how nice it looks, isn't as good for this purpose as my other burner. It's easier to deal with though, so we'll see what happens. I think next time it's windy on a day I want to brew, I'll postpone.. lol...

Here's my best solution to the problem without having to DIY again...

3304317588_cd44d1689f_o.jpg

This is my original cooker that I used before I quit home brewing. Good thing I saved it :) This cooker has some advantages and disadvantages. The main advantages are that it has a skirt built on to it, it sits a little lower to the ground, and the burner is a few inches closer to the base of the pot. The disadvantage is that the pot doesn't have quite as firm of a base on this cooker, but it's completely adequate. I purchased this cooker for about $65 back in 1996 or so. It's been collecting dust in my attic for a long time. Luckily it does have the proper hose/regulator for the current OPD propane cylinders.

The orange blossom special sounds tasty, even if it is warm where you are.:D

That is quite a wind though, so no doubt it was uncomfortable.

Back