American Pale Ale Manny's Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitchin

Home brewer
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley
Batch Size (Gallons)
10 Gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70F
Tasting Notes
A great PNW Pale Ale.
9.25 Kg Pale 2-row
0.5 Kg Carapils
1.0 Kg Caramel Malt - 60L

0.8 oz Summit (Hop Union) [17.5%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 15 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 5 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days

1 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) w/ Starter

Mash at 152F. Mash out at 168F. This recipe is based upon 65% efficiency and batch sparging, 51L pre-boil and 42L to the fermenter - adjust for your own brewery. 65F ferment with diacetyl rest at 70F for last 2 points of gravity. Dry hop in secondary at 70F and age cold in keg for 2-3 weeks before tapping.

How did this turn out? Thinking of doing something very similar, and plan to drive down to the Georgetown brewery to get some of their yeast... they will fill a whole growler of yeast for you.

My Manny's clone wasn't really spot on a few years ago when I tried to brew it. Want a accurate version and so was wondering if this was close or not so close.

Klaus

Pretty darn close. Adjust the pale malt to hit 1.051 because your efficiency will vary from mine. Adjust the summit to hit about 35 ibu. Leave everything else the same. I dry hop warm for a week and cold crash before kegging.

I've added 1-2oz more dry hops on occasion with nice results.

Lemme know what you think.

How did this turn out? Thinking of doing something very similar, and plan to drive down to the Georgetown brewery to get some of their yeast... they will fill a whole growler of yeast for you.

My Manny's clone wasn't really spot on a few years ago when I tried to brew it. Want a accurate version and so was wondering if this was close or not so close.

Klaus

Not sure whether you brewed this or not but I usually split the batch into 2 fermenters. Sometimes I use different yeasts in each fermenter and even dry hop each differently so I'm not knocking back 10 gal of the same brew. Once in a while I've even hopped the WP differently after the first 5 gal comes off.

I found that adding the 1oz of cascade to the fermenter, followed by a second charge of 1oz centennial/1oz columbus makes for a great twist.

The website now posts the details. For what it's worth,

Malts - 2 Row Pale, Caramel
Hops - Summit, Cascade
Yeast - English Ale
OG - 1.051
TG - 1.009
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 38

Mine ends at 1.010 usually

Back