Planning first all grain. Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
Got a cooler coming for Christmas to make into an MLT. As with this hobby - and everything else - I've been researching relentlessly to make sure my process is right when I start. I did have a couple questions however. First, I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If I wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended I do a partial boil and then top off with water? I am assuming this would be the same as a partial boil of a 5 gallon batch (I've always only done full boils up to this point), including hops utilization adjustments etc. I'm kind of cheap and would rather use what I currently have if it'll work the same.

Second, with regards to technique. Since I only have on kettle, is it fine to collect the running from my MLT into a fermenting bucket, since I'll need the kettle to heat strike/sparge water? Then just pour those runnings into the kettle when ready?

Lastly, I've looked at a ton of AG recipes in the database. A lot of these recipes don't state the batch size. Is There a standard to posting recipes? Is it safe to assume these recipes are 5 gallon? Well...I know what they say about assuming...

First, I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If I wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended I do a partial boil and then top off with water? I am assuming this would be the same as a partial boil of a 5 gallon batch (I've always only done full boils up to this point), including hops utilization adjustments etc. I'm kind of cheap and would rather use what I currently have if it'll work the same.

I would assume so - although we've got an 8 gallon boil kettle, and just do 5-6.5 gallon batches. So I've never done what you propose, but can't see why not...

Second, with regards to technique. Since I only have on kettle, is it fine to collect the running from my MLT into a fermenting bucket, since I'll need the kettle to heat strike/sparge water? Then just pour those runnings into the kettle when ready?

Again, can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. We have two 10 gallon coolers, and as the mash is ending, I heat sparge water, and then transfer to the second cooler for lautering. But what you propose seems reasonable...

Lastly, I've looked at a ton of AG recipes in the database. A lot of these recipes don't state the batch size. Is There a standard to posting recipes? Is it safe to assume these recipes are 5 gallon? Well...I know what they say about assuming...

You could always plug the amounts of proposed recipe into software such as BeerSmith and see if it makes sense for a 5 gallon batch... Wouldn't assume anything...

Enjoy - all grain is fun!

Got a cooler coming for Christmas to make into an MLT. As with this hobby - and everything else - I've been researching relentlessly to make sure my process is right when I start. I did have a couple questions however. First, I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If I wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended I do a partial boil and then top off with water? I am assuming this would be the same as a partial boil of a 5 gallon batch (I've always only done full boils up to this point), including hops utilization adjustments etc. I'm kind of cheap and would rather use what I currently have if it'll work the same.

You can brew ~5.5gal max out of a 7.5gal kettle, you can do a concentrated boil and mix with water in fermentors (need to make sure you are good at dividing the wort), but I would get a ~15gal kettle.

How big is your cooler? Depending on the gravity of your beer, it could be a limiting factor in a 10gal batch as well.

Yes, this is what I do when I have a partigyle brew day.

Comments inserted above

Thanks for the responses. I figured I was over thinking the process, that there were simple solutions to each of these questions. I haven't gotten any brewing software yet as I have just followed extract recipes thus far, but plan on purchasing a program soon to help with recipe formation. I figure a veteran AG brewer can just look at a grain bill and know what the batch size is.

Also, I ordered a 10 gallon round Rubbermaid. I wanted to make sure I had enough room to do a 10 gallon batch if I wanted. Now I'm anxiously waiting do its arrival so I can get a manifold built.

"First, I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If I wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended I do a partial boil and then top off with water?"

That is going to be quite a challenge. You can do that with extract because someone already collected all the wort and concentrated it for you. You'll be dealing with non-concentrate now. So, it is theoretically possible to make a really thick wort and then dilute it, there are some practical limitations. ie for 10 gallons of OG 1.060, you would need 5 gallons of 1.120. That is pushing it and will undoubtedly cause efficiency problems. Any beer bigger than that? Pretty much isn't going to happen.

I'd highly recommend sticking with 5 gallon batches until you get a bigger pot. Besides, it is better to make your mistakes a on 5 gallon batches vs 10.

No problem at all using a plastic fermenter to collect wort pre-boil. It works great and is an easy way to measure volumes for the first runoff and sparge.

Typical recipe size is 5 gallons, but it is easy enough to check. Just plug in the ingredients into a calculator/brew program and see if the OG is reasonable. If your pale ale clocks in with a 1.100 gravity for 5 gallons, you know that was supposed to be for a 10 gallon batch.

billl said:
"First, I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If I wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended I do a partial boil and then top off with water?"

That is going to be quite a challenge. You can do that with extract because someone already collected all the wort and concentrated it for you. You'll be dealing with non-concentrate now. So, it is theoretically possible to make a really thick wort and then dilute it, there are some practical limitations. ie for 10 gallons of OG 1.060, you would need 5 gallons of 1.120. That is pushing it and will undoubtedly cause efficiency problems. Any beer bigger than that? Pretty much isn't going to happen.

I'd highly recommend sticking with 5 gallon batches until you get a bigger pot. Besides, it is better to make your mistakes a on 5 gallon batches vs 10.

Very good points. Thanks!

"first, i have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle. If i wanted to do 10 gallon batches, is it recommended i do a partial boil and then top off with water?"

that is going to be quite a challenge. You can do that with extract because someone already collected all the wort and concentrated it for you. You'll be dealing with non-concentrate now. So, it is theoretically possible to make a really thick wort and then dilute it, there are some practical limitations. Ie for 10 gallons of og 1.060, you would need 5 gallons of 1.120. That is pushing it and will undoubtedly cause efficiency problems. Any beer bigger than that? Pretty much isn't going to happen.

no problem at all using a plastic fermenter to collect wort pre-boil. It works great and is an easy way to measure volumes for the first runoff and sparge.

Typical recipe size is 5 gallons, but it is easy enough to check. Just plug in the ingredients into a calculator/brew program and see if the og is reasonable. If your pale ale clocks in with a 1.100 gravity for 5 gallons, you know that was supposed to be for a 10 gallon batch.

+1!

Back