Hop Spider plug...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Just a plug for the hop spider. I built one the other day and brewed an IPA with 7 oz of hops. Was easy to build, worked like a charm, and man, simple to clean. The cleaning advantage seems to demolish hop taco's, etc.

Giver 'er a shot if you've been considering it. I was able to make six hop additions. Worked great.

After clogging up my auto-siphon a number of times during transfer on my IPAs, I decided to build one of these myself. Coincidentally the Nov BYO has a how-to guide for those who need it.

Transfer and clean-up was a breeze. This definitely makes brew-day a lot more enjoyable.

I used a large hop bag instead of the Home-Depot paint bags. A 1 gal is definitely large enough as the hops absorb water and create a weight that pulls them down into the kettle. I used my spoon to stir them around during the boil a bit.

Highly recommended.

After clogging up my auto-siphon a number of times during transfer on my IPAs...
wwwhhhhaaaaatttt?????? I have never heard of anyone siphoning to transfer wort. Most folks use a bucket of some sort to "dump" the cooled wort into. I do it this way and use a spatter screen to filter and aerate the wort at the same time...

Highly recommended.

I am glad that you ike the hop spider. A word of caution...I have melted pvc ones and now use a all SS one (Mine is from a cut keggle top) The way-to-go seems to be with a SS dishwaher sink coupling instead of the PVC one.

BTW this is an odd thread to rez on the subject but ok...

Back