Black Patent = Black Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
On Northern Brewer they don't list a "Black Patent" but they do have a Simpsons Black Malt under British Malts. Is this the same thing?

Mebe. You might wanna ask the supplier or check the maltsers website.

I have found that, usually, Black Malt and Black Patent are interchangeable names BUT, IIRC, (for example) Briess actually has a reason for the name change. IIRC, Briess uses the Black Patent name for a NON malted grain that they burnt to hell and use the name Black Malt for a similar roast degree only, it was malted first.

Hope this helps.

I noticed my LHBS had both black and black patent malt available (they list their whole inventory in a checklist when you tell them what grains you want). Since the recipe I was making was calling for a more esoteric black malt, I asked the owner what difference there was. He didn't say what exact difference there is for processing....but he did say that black patent has a smokier flavor then their black malt. So sometimes, I guess some companies use it as a form of measuring the amount of kilning.

Back