Still illegal in Oklahoma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamopie2

Reaction score
I am going to be moving to Oklahoma in mid-may next year and am wondering about homebrewing. I have searched and have seen a lot of new members in Oklahoma so I assume people are brewing. Is it still illegal in OK? Or is it 'illegal' and just not enforced.

Also, will places like Austin Homebrew ship to states like Oklahoma? Thanks. I dont want to invest too much in this hobby if i end up not being able to continue it.

I have heard that in the three states where homebrewing is illegal, it's not enforced at all. So yes, it's 'illegal' but just like how jaywalking or punching someone in the dark or shooting your gun in the throes of passion with a woman is illegal; a victimless crime.

i have never heard its illegal and i know alot of homebrewers, i know alot of cops and lawers and noone has ever said that to me,
where are you moving too ?
here are two LHBS
I use Highgravity alot, its a great store.

High Gravity Homebrew & Winemaking Supplies
The Brew Shop - Home

BTW Alabama is the only state i can see that has laws to make it illegal after the 1978 bill making it ok

Officially, HomeBrewing is still Illeagal in Oklahoma and is really only a concern for public gatherings and if you have an impossible neighbor.

the laws in Title 37 are archaic. It is leagal to make up to 100 gallons per adult to 200 gallons (in a 2 adult household) of wine or cider but the reg excludes "cereal mash" products from the exemption.

SO, brew your beer but keep Apfelwein or Mead on hand too and if you end up policed for any reason show them that. Also, if you are really concerned just don;t pull out the IC in public becasue that is really the only part that resembles anything having to do with a distillery.

Wow....being illegal simply blows my mind....I wonder why. The 100gallon limit irritates me too....does it help the BMC regulate us so that we don't cut into there market lol.

Probably why Pot has such a hard time being legal...much harder to regulate somebody just growing there own in there backyard as appossed to buying a pack of Marlboro Hydroponic :D

the 100 gal is for taxes
if you make more then that thay want there license fees and taxes on the vice

ya but if you have a brewing license the you can get you ingredients tax free just like a anyother builder retailer

the tax is on the finished product

Oh really? So if one had a brewing license...how/where could you get ingredients tax free?

kinda like a supply house for an electrician/carpenter etc etc

well ya you would have a fed tax Id and would beable to buy the supplys wholesale.

its becase if i say, built and sold Computers if i have to pay sales tax on teh parts built it and then sold it and have to collect sale tax agin that would be dubble taxation
becase you dont tax an item till the finale sale to the end user
witch in this case would be the perosn buying your beer

But, here is where it gets really confuserating.

The ABLE commission who enforce the reg in Title 37 only have jurisdiction over High Point Beer, that is anything over 3.2% ABW (~4% ABV).

Anything between 0.5% to 3.2% ABW is regulated by the State Health Commission, of whom I am on the phone with regulalry, and they could care less. To date, I have found no regulation enforced by State, County, or City Health Code Officials that restricts the brewing of beer at home for personal consumption. Nor have I seen any regulation setting limits to the volume allowed per household.

So, if you like session beers IMO brew away.

Heck, it might even be benificial to have "doctored" brew notes intentionally misrepresenting gravities to show a range below the ABLE commission threshold. If, that is, you are really concerned about a raid.

Reality is, the "rule" is a joke but is kept on the books in case there is a chance that someone is caught moonshining malt based liquors (Scotch?), selling HB, a minor HB'er, or just being a total asshat drunkered to the neighbor hood. Chance are, if you get a suspicious neighbor they are going to poke their noses at some point. So, either keep your brewery out of public view or when someone notices, be polite and acknowledge them with a neighborly hello and a wave, if they approach offer a beer, start with something COLD, light, and as mundane as you've got and you'll most likely settle their suspicions, peak an interest, and make a friend. Just be warned. I fthey live tooo close they may be a hazard to your supply.:p

well ya you would have a fed tax Id and would beable to buy the supplys wholesale.

its becase if i say, built and sold Computers if i have to pay sales tax on teh parts built it and then sold it and have to collect sale tax agin that would be dubble taxation
becase you dont tax an item till the finale sale to the end user
witch in this case would be the perosn buying your beer

Correction: You would have have both a FEIN (to prove registration as a business) AND a State Tax Exemption certficiate/number. The latter is what makes you tax truley tax exempt. However, a lot of wholesalers are lazy and only require the FEIN for their records. They leave it up to OTC to find out if their customers are actually collecting the taxes at the time of sales.

That only applies if you choose to be tax exempt. You can opt to be strictly a service type operation and pay tax on supplies up front.

Oh really? So if one had a brewing license...how/where could you get ingredients tax free?

kinda like a supply house for an electrician/carpenter etc etc

FYI, IIRC a "Brewers License" is ~$1000.00 per YEAR. Pretty steep price to pay for HomeBrew eh? Then, tack on all the "other stuff" to keep the license valid. Makes you wonder how Heuberts stays in bidness.

Wow....being illegal simply blows my mind....I wonder why. The 100gallon limit irritates me too....does it help the BMC regulate us so that we don't cut into there market lol.

Probably why Pot has such a hard time being legal...much harder to regulate somebody just growing there own in there backyard as appossed to buying a pack of Marlboro Hydroponic :D

What? Pot is Illeagal in Oklahoma. ;)

+1 on HG. I buy everything there. they are about an hour away and I'll plan trips to Tulsa just to buy brewing ingredients.

+2 Great people to deal with

I live in Mississippi and i still choose to do all my business with them.

by the way, it's illegal in MS to homebrew.

I have heard that in the three states where homebrewing is illegal, it's not enforced at all. So yes, it's 'illegal' but just like how jaywalking or punching someone in the dark or shooting your gun in the throes of passion with a woman is illegal; a victimless crime.

5 states: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Utah

I bought my entire kit etc. at HG. Good place knowlegable people and a good fresh supply of ingredients.

The problem in Oklahoma is that everyone recognizes that the liquor laws need to be changed and updated but no politician in the buckle of the bible belt wants to seem "anti-family" and push for change. So as a result, there's a law but no enforcement. The ABLE Commission is too concerned with the taxes that can be collected from restaurants and bars to care about what you're serving up in your garage. I have brewed with police officers....and homebrewing is as important to them as jaywalking. So move to Oklahoma and brew it up! Unless you're selling it or serving to minors, life is good!:mug:

The problem in Oklahoma is that everyone recognizes that the liquor laws need to be changed and updated but no politician in the buckle of the bible belt wants to seem "anti-family" and push for change. So as a result, there's a law but no enforcement. The ABLE Commission is too concerned with the taxes that can be collected from restaurants and bars to care about what you're serving up in your garage. I have brewed with police officers....and homebrewing is as important to them as jaywalking. So move to Oklahoma and brew it up! Unless you're selling it or serving to minors, life is good!:mug:

Don't forget every freaking time someone gets a petition circulating, everyone signs it and it goes nowhere.
Ohh well. At least I have a job requiring travel. :D

Dang, even that worries me - I can buy weed and magic mushrooms in my local shopping centre - damn, I love Holland.

Still prefer the stuff I can make at home though - just like with beer.

I can't speak for High Gravity as I'm in Norman and don't venture up to Tulsa often. However, I personally prefer Learn to Brew in Moore. It has only been open about a year now and IMO is MUCH better than The Brew Shop. I believe their prices are slightly lower also. Chris, the owner, used to work at Otter Creek and is very knowledgeable.

I just moved to Glenpool from Tahlequah and also got all of my stuff from High Gravity. Those guys are really nice and were even brave enough to sample my first batch when I thought I screwed it up. I wouldn't worry about the ABLE commission. They seem to focus on college towns and underage drinking more than anything in my experience.

I wouldn't worry too much. While I'm no fed, I am in a close.. very close , working relationship with the police department. Not only if is popular and accepted, but everyone gets very excited at the mention of a new friend that is a homebrewer. There are a few shops around the metro that sell homebrew supplies, and they do very well.

It's not something you have to sneak or feel guilty about. No need to keep the garage door shut while brewing. The key is to not run a mass production brewery out of your house.

Peace.:mug:

I live in Arkansas and get some of my stuff at high gravity when I'm in Tulsa.
I never understood what is the point of the 3.2% pisswater being served in resturants and any store other than a liquor store?Everytime I'm over there I want to have a beer in a resturant and then remember and it's like OH WELL never mind!What do they do at Tulsa's Octoberfest homebrew competition?Does it all have to be brewed to 3.2%

+1 For Learn to Brew in Moore, when I lived in OKC I used to buy almost all of my stuff down there, Chris is an awesome guy!

Back