American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody brew this in BIAB? I "think" I have been mashing with about 8.5 gallons of water. The reason I ask if I haven't brewed since Aug 2016 and my notes on this brew are missing. I have 2 vials of yeast, should I use these to make a bigger starter, or just go with the vials only?

Last edited:
I brew BIAB, 8.5gal sounds right. Some people always make a starter. I would use the two vials, or even one if the specs are close. Assuming fresh yeast.

Brewed OP recipe. Very good beer. Will definitely brew again. Thank you. Next time, I may consider dry hopping with some Citra in addition to the Cascade.

Yea... 28 degrees will do it.
1800.jpeg

I've brewed this about 8 times, the last two batches did not turn out. Now this batch, 2 weeks into fermentation and it's @1.030. I just bumped the temp up to 70f and gave the wort a slight swirl. What else can I do to ensure fermentation is over. And I have yet to dry hop

Last edited:
What was wrong with the two prior? Did they stall too? I think that low attenuation can be a yeast problem, or unfermentable sugars.
The last batch tasted real bad, I'm thinking my fermenter wasn't clean/sanitized enough. The previous one turn into a bottle bomb, and this one stalled.

That sounds like two different problems. Bottle bombs and bad taste might both be infection, but stalled ferment is either unfermentables or yeast trouble.

What does it taste like? If its sweet it would seem to need more fermentation so add some additional yeast, maybe S-05. If its not sweet and doesn't taste bad maybe that's your FG and its time to keg. One of the mysteries of homebrewing.
Remember RDWHAHB

Looks like it's gonna sit @ 1.024. It does not taste sweet. I gave it another swirl, will take a reading tomorrow, then probably dry hop.

Are there bubbles on the hydrometer? I thought my Czech Pils finished high until I realized the tiny carbonation bubbles were clinging to the hydrometer and floating it up.

Hey guys. First time poster. Read through the entire thread. Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks Enochs!

I'm a fan of a more hoppy beer with a little more aroma. Has anyone tried adding some Chinook in the dry hop along with the cascade? Thinking about adding this and keeping the rest of the recipe the same. Thanks!

Last edited:
I kegged this on 11.16. After a week on gas, it was ok. After a month, turned into one of my best beers to date.

Attachments

• gold ipa.JPG
    gold ipa.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 290
Can you describe more on the difference in taste between one week in keg vs a month?

It was a bit harsh--Kinda hoppy and minerally if that's a word. I've never experienced anything like it. It smoothed out and is now a great drinking beer.

Ok, I brewed this in time for Christmas and I must say it turned out awesome. This is my first time brewing an IPA and this is definitely a keeper. Most of my friends and family were very impressed.

I brewed a batch of this. Overall I thinks it's a good recipe. Mine however, finished a little grassy. Any thoughts as to why?

Latest posts

Back