American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my second all grain brew, I was looking for an ipa recipe I could use as a go to beer for one of my taps and wow, I think this is it! Exactly what I'm looking for out of an ipa. I'll have a chance to have a number of friends try it out this Saturday.
Pours very clear and exactly as described the bitterness is spot on, the hoppiness is , well perfect. very enjoyable. (Ok, that's what I think, I'm looking forward to getting some decent unbiased reviews soon.)
With regards to the comments above about the hops - I dumped them straight in, no bag etc. I don't bottle, it's straight into a keg after fermentation. Not sure if that has an impact over bottling as I haven't bottled before.

Thanks for the recipe!

E.

This is my second all grain brew, I was looking for an ipa recipe I could use as a go to beer for one of my taps and wow, I think this is it! Exactly what I'm looking for out of an ipa. I'll have a chance to have a number of friends try it out this Saturday.
Pours very clear and exactly as described the bitterness is spot on, the hoppiness is , well perfect. very enjoyable. (Ok, that's what I think, I'm looking forward to getting some decent unbiased reviews soon.)
With regards to the comments above about the hops - I dumped them straight in, no bag etc. I don't bottle, it's straight into a keg after fermentation. Not sure if that has an impact over bottling as I haven't bottled before.

Thanks for the recipe!

E.

If you keg and purge your kegs with co2 IPAs like these will last alot longer than bottling. I bottle now and these really hoppy beers last about 3-4 weeks before falling off.

Planning on brewing this next weekend as my last batch of 2016. This was the first beer that I ever brewed, and it came out terrific. Can't wait to try it again!

Well I just knocked this out, as I said, this will be my last brew of this year. Everything went great, I even had better efficiency than expected so all good!

Will be drinking this during the Super Bowl I reckon.

Happy holidays to everyone

I brewed this a while back and it is bottled, carbonated, and drinkable. The problem is it tastes like seltzer water. Only my second batch so I'm not surprised. My process was solid (or so I thought) and I stuck to the recipe. What could attribute to a watery IPA?

I brewed this a while back and it is bottled, carbonated, and drinkable. The problem is it tastes like seltzer water. Only my second batch so I'm not surprised. My process was solid (or so I thought) and I stuck to the recipe. What could attribute to a watery IPA?

Very low fg
Poor conversion in the mash/low mash temp = low SG and FG
Suckback of a lot of starsan while cold crashing
All just guessing here
Did you take gravity measurements?

Why your beer ended up like that can be due to a lot of things, which we can only guess at. What was the FG?

I don't know how long "a while ago" is but if it's a long time in the bottle then a lot of the hops, yeast and other stuff (for want of a better word) will have settled out. I know it might seem counterproductive and but sometimes it helps to add the sediment from the bottle to the beer too to give it a bit more body and hop flavour. If you used US-05 then the yeast itself wont add much flavour. I did this myself for a beer that had a FG of 1.007 instead of 1.010 and it helped improve the taste/mouthfeel of the beer a lot.

A while back wasn't that long ago actually... It was in primary for 2 weeks and has been bottled for 3. The FG was 1.014... I don't know what the OG was because I forgot to take a reading at that point (rookie mistake). Could this recipe just be too lightly hopped for an IPA? The reviews looked good, which is why I'm sort of in troubleshoot mode on this one. The yeast I used was the White labs California ale... Made a starter etc. Anywho, thanks for replying.. I'll look into your advice on adding sediment and I'll try that one of these days. ��

This turned out very well. I only keep maris and pils base malts so substituted the maris for convenience. Turned out sweeter than expected on the finish but overall a fine ale, good aroma, moderately bitter start with smooth slightly sweet finish. 2 wk primary, 2 wk secondary, 1 wk in keg @ 10 psi, so 5 weeks to get a glass and well worth the wait. Thanks for posting.

Hello! Thats a Lot of hops! I'm brewing this recipe right now, how many days after putting it in the fermenter should I add the dry hopping?
Cheers!

Hello! Thats a Lot of hops! I'm brewing this recipe right now, how many days after putting it in the fermenter should I add the dry hopping?
Cheers!

You have to wait until the yeast have finished. If you are getting 5 bubbles a minute or less, then you are probably good.

You can also go by hydrometer readings. If you have the same reading 3 days apart, you are good.

All right, I have this recipe queued up in my to do soon list. I am going to either use Omega Yeast 004, west coast ale instead of the white labs.

You have to wait until the yeast have finished. If you are getting 5 bubbles a minute or less, then you are probably good.

You can also go by hydrometer readings. If you have the same reading 3 days apart, you are good.

And then, how much time in secondary?

And then, how much time in secondary?

I usually dryhop for 7 days, but no secondary. Secondaries increase the chance of infection and oxidation. I boil some marbles, put them and the hops in a sanitized bag, tie it off, and put it in the primary.

Just brewed this on 3/31/17.

Modifications/Notes:
I used an extra 10g of Willamette on the 15 minute addition because, well, oops! :)
Cascade AA: 5.5%
Chinook AA: 11.8%
Willamette AA: 4.1%

I also adjusted my water quite a bit from Seattle Municipal water to:
Ca 140
Mg 18
Na 25
SO4 300
Chloride 55
Bicarb 110
Acidified sparge water with lactic acid

The OG came out to 1.081 but came up short on volume. Diluted with purified drinking water to 1.066 (5.25 gallons). Had a few hiccups along the way, but the sample I pulled for OG was absolutely delicious! Update to come in a couple weeks! :)

EDIT: I also left out the torrified wheat. I think the cara pils will be plenty for head retention, and just prefer to use minimal ingredients when necessary. Still can't wait to try this! Time to brew another beer to distract myself....

Any recommendations for hop changes to this? Or perhaps yeast changes? Curious what different hops/yeast might do to the recipe.

Brewed it like a month ago, and just tasted it for the second time bc it didnt carbonate well bc of temperature:
It was glorious! I loved it.
However the recipe was tweaked a little bit by using 50/50 citra and cascade for the dry hop and changing torrified wheat for white wheat malt. I had to manage with the things available at my country.
Bottom line: I loved this IPA and will brew it again tomorrow!
Cheers!

This is my first post, and this recipe was my first all grain brew.
All I can say is WOW.
My other brews have been good, but this one was unbelievable. The worst part about this recipe is how quickly the bottles are going empty :mug:

I was hoping to try this this weekend. I plugged the numbers into BeerSmith using the AA #s available at my LHBS. The only change I made was US-05 dry yeast instead of WLP001. I also figured it at 70% eff which is avg for my equipment. I had to adjust the mash to get the OG and FG numbers to match. I also had to cut an ounce of Cascade out and do a 1 oz addition at 30 min and 1 oz at 15 min. That still left my IBU's a little higher at 69.3. I don't want to tweak it too much. Looking forward to it.

Finally I brewed this receipt, it's the first all grain. Base malt is Alberta Rahr 2 row(is it the same one in the receipt?). added flake wheat 0.25lb not the torrified wheat. All others are the same.

OG 1.062, collected total 5.8gallon wort for fermentation. The problem is I add 2 vials WLP001 yest at wort temperature 83F, rather then 68F( anybody know if it is Ok?). it is in the Primary 13hrs now. what's the temperature should be in the different stage?( secondary and in the bottle)? is 68F the wort's temperature or ambient temperature?

I will let you guys know how it turn out. hope someone could give me answers for the questions as well.

I just finished my first batch of this and it was the best beer I've made yet. I'm going to brew it up again soon

An update, the thermometer is malfunctioning.It measures about 14F higher. it is a digital cooking thermometer, it's new from Walmart, was accurate.

So I am thinking the ferment temperature was good @69F. But the mash temperature might be too low @140F. I will see how it goes.

An update, the thermometer is malfunctioning.It measures about 14F higher. it is a digital cooking thermometer, it's new from Walmart, was accurate.

So I am thinking the ferment temperature was good @69F. But the mash temperature might be too low @140F. I will see how it goes.

Best of luck
Lil tip, always have at least 2 digital thermometers. That way, you can compare them to ensure nothing is funny and you have a backup in case a battery dies or you melt one or something. Strike water is a good place to do so. Also, be sure to check them against any analog thermometers you may be using in your setup to ensure they didn't fall out of calibration.
Swap the battery in yours and see if that fixes it.
You can also check accuracy ahead of time with a comparison of ice water(lots of ice) and boiling water.

Love this brew. Hope to get back to it this year.

Best of luck
Lil tip, always have at least 2 digital thermometers. That way, you can compare them to ensure nothing is funny and you have a backup in case a battery dies or you melt one or something. Strike water is a good place to do so. Also, be sure to check them against any analog thermometers you may be using in your setup to ensure they didn't fall out of calibration.
Swap the battery in yours and see if that fixes it.
You can also check accuracy ahead of time with a comparison of ice water(lots of ice) and boiling water.

Love this brew. Hope to get back to it this year.

Or get a thermapen! As a chemist, I'm a stickler for getting the numbers exactly right. I was stressing so much with 3-4 different types of thermometers and never fully trusting any one thermometer. Got a thermapen classic when they went on sale a month or two and I literally haven't touched my other thermometers since. It seems excessively priced but the peace of mind on brew day is unparalleled.

Think pacman yeast would work well with this recipe?

I want to brew it again but the only thing I have on hand at the moment is Wyeast 1764 (pacman). Should I roll with it or order some 001?

Whoops, I meant Pacman.

This is the first time using it, I bought it a while ago and never got around to Brewing with it.

I hope it turns out as well as my last batch!

I made a version of this for the inaugural brew on my newly built ebiab system. I adjusted the 2-row to make the og 1.060 at 60% efficiency, and ended up with 1.067 at 70% efficiency. I also changed the hops to:

Chinook 1.25oz 30min
Simcoe .5oz 30min
Amarillo 1oz 0min
Simcoe 1.5oz dry hop
Amarillo 1oz dry hop
Chinook .75oz dry hop

This ended up tasting really good, as good as some of my favorite IPA's.

I am brewing a variation of this, chilling right now. Mine is partial mash using pilsner, substituting Horizon for Willamette, and due to a calculation error, probably an imperial.

I did dry hop, it may affect the clearity i think. other then that color,taste, head retention etc. all good. love it.
and brewed another batch without dry hop, it is very clear. little less flavor taste.

I just opened the first of my recent batch. Didn't have the right crystal malt so I used some 20 instead, now I think I should have just left it out.

Dry hopped with Mosiac, turned out great again

I brewed this around June 15, 2017. Probably bottled it around the 29th or 30th, (I lost my notes for this one). I originally planned on using 2 packets of Safale US-05 but, being the consummate cheapskate, I decided one packet was plenty. I ended up with a slight diacetyl off flavor. It's not offensive, but it's a little more "buttery" smooth than I would think was intended. If you discount the buttery taste the rest of the beer seems really well balanced.

I plan to definitely give it another try with either 2 packets of US-05 or a liquid yeast and a starter. I've used different dry yeasts on my last 4 brews and haven't been too impressed.

I think I'll also switch the hops. I brewed an orange peel APA just before this using Cascade, then this, so I'm pretty much burned out on Cascade for the time being.

First time making this recipe today. Currently letting my mash bag drain.

I buy my hops and grains in bulk so I can brew "on a whim" without having to go to my homebrew store. Sometimes this means I need to sub a few things here and there. For this recipe I swapped the 1LB of 20L with a mix of .75LB 10L and .25L Caramunich II (40L). I also swapped the torrified wheat for flaked wheat. Everything else stayed the same.

Post mash efficiency came out to 75% and hit the gravity reading on point.

Can't wait to taste this one in a few weeks!

This is tasting fantastic so far. Still in primary undergoing dry hopping.

Brewed on 10/25 w US-05 yeast. Currently sitting @ 1.011 from 1.063. Dry hopped towards end of active fermentation on 10/29 with 1oz Cascade and added 1oz of Citra on 11/3. Going to keg this on 11/7.

Back