Yeast Starter for past-expiration yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beutinbrew

Reaction score
I have two tubes of White Labs yeasts and it seems silly to throw them out (5 and 6 months too "old" respectively.) I got them cheap early this summer, but where I live I had to take a brewing break through the summer due to heat and temperature control, so they have sat in my small brewing fridge since then.

If I make a yeast starter with these, can I expect them to return to life for pitching or am I wasting my time?

Beutinbrew

No reason not to try. If they get going, then they are good to use, and I bet they will. It's unlikely that there is nothing viable left in there, especially if you stored them well. You may want to have a backup handy just in case.

My bet is they will be fine. My LHBS sells expired yeast for a discount. They are in a container that says,"Starter Required". If they take off, which they should, youll make beer.

I think they will be fine. I would make a starter though to get them back into fighting shape.

Make a starter and have a backup packet of dry handy.

Actually, you should be making a starter for any liquid yeast you have just to get the yeast cell counts up to better inoculate your wort to prevent "other" yeasts and bacteria from taking hold.

I just made a yeast starter tonight using White Labs yeast that expired in May. Hopefully it will tun out ok.

Read my thread entitled "Burn warning" in the beginners forum.

I recently did this with an expired smack pack of Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast.
The owner of my LHBS gave it to me... it is now bubbling like a fiend in my Mead Primary.

I love starters, and even tho SWMBO hates seeing the science projects in the fridge... she enjoys the results. :D

With my first batch I just strirred dried yeast in and hopefully it worked. I might figure out how to make a starter next time - presumably it can be done with dried yeast?

I just checked my starter and it is doing fine. It was a little slow at first but its doing fine now. It expired back in May and it is still good. Looks like I will be brewing this weekend. :ban:

Back