Hops in pot after flameout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGR72

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question about what the standard practice is for most of you.
In most recipes and instructions I've read the hop schedule is pretty straightforward add x at 60min y at 15min z at 5min etc....

I understand the bittering/flavor/aroma compounds are all different and utilized at different temps/boils which brings me to my question. What do you do at flameout? Remove hops immediately? Allow them to soak some more while everything cools? I would think that for the bittering it probably doesn't matter so much, they've allready been in there a while. But when going for delicate flavor/aroma, do you need to remove the hops after just 5 minutes to preserve the oils?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, just trying to get all the variables down!

It's the oils in the beer than provide flavor/aroma. Removing the hops at flameout won't change what's already dissolved.

I think he's asking about flame out additions.
I often add some hops at flame out. They stay through the cooling process, and in my case, all the way through fermentation because I don't use a hop bag, nor do I strain wort going into the fermentor.

I think he's asking about flame out additions.
I often add some hops at flame out. They stay through the cooling process, and in my case, all the way through fermentation because I don't use a hop bag, nor do I strain wort going into the fermentor.

I just re-read the OP and I'm still not sure if he's asking about adding hops at flameout or removing hops from the wort at flame out.

If it's the former, just toss them in like any other addition.

If it's the latter, you can straing them out on the way into primary. I use a stainless strainer.

I just womped up a porter and forgot to add the aroma hops, so I dumped them into the carboy before I pitched. I don't mean to hijack, I hope this is related enough, How bad did I screw up?

Leave the aroma hops in the kettle. What you do want to do is to cool the whole wort as quickly as possible. The longer it stays hot, the more aromas you lose. That is why hop backs are sometimes used. The hot wort goes into the hop back and then directly into the chiller so no aromas are lost.

Leave the aroma hops in the kettle. What you do want to do is to cool the whole wort as quickly as possible. The longer it stays hot, the more aromas you lose. That is why hop backs are sometimes used. The hot wort goes into the hop back and then directly into the chiller so no aromas are lost.

Not to disagree, but that is not always true

My Fat Owl Pale Ale is my slightly tweaked version of Bob Girolamo's Sharks Tooth Pale Ale which was a Commercial brew in the mid 90's. { http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/beers.pl/445/sharks-tooth-beer-co.html }
What makes the brew so special is the cooling of the wort to 180 and then steeping the hops for 30+ minutes. I was hesitant to try this, but it did really make a difference in the flavor and overall aroma

Latest posts

Back