Bohemian Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
What do you think about these grains for a 5 gal batch Bohemian Pilsner

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.11 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 6.38 %

I will probably use a Saaz or a Hallertauer Hops and a German Lager yeast WLP830.

Too much carapils. You want it crisp and dry---a whole pound of dextrine malt will cause it to finish high and result in a fuller mouthfeel than you want in a pils. I still use some carapils in my pilsners, but not that much. I'd say anything more than 7oz is pushing it...that way, you get some creaminess and head retention without the heavy mouthfeel.

Otherwise, looks great.

I tend to like the clean. malty character that and higher flocculation that WLP800 has vs WLP830. Not to say WLP830's not a choice lager yeast, just my preference with a bohemian pilsener.

What about the Vienna, is that enough or too much? Are the hops big enough, or should I go with a Higher AA (1.25oz 60min, .50oz 15min, .25oz 0min)? Should I replace the 2 row with a Pils 2 row?
I have not made a Pilsner, anyone for a game of 20 questions!

That much vienna is fine. As long as your SRM is still within range.

Saaz/Hallertauer are standard. However, what I've taken to doing lately, given the hop shortage, is using a neutral high-AA% hop (like Galena) for my bittering addition, then using whatever hops are typical for the style for the late additions. If you have any relatively neutral bittering hops, you could do this to save a little $$.

Evan! said:

Saaz/Hallertauer are standard. However, what I've taken to doing lately, given the hop shortage, is using a neutral high-AA% hop (like Galena) for my bittering addition, then using whatever hops are typical for the style for the late additions. If you have any relatively neutral bittering hops, you could do this to save a little $$.

If you have to substitute, try to pick one of the newer varieties with high Cohumulone to stay closer to form.

Vienna looks good :mug:

Evan! said:

I am at the upper end, the style says 3.0 - 5.0 and I'm at a 5.3. If I take 1# of Pale malt out it brings me down to 5.0

Thats a great idea about the Hop's! I'm in the middle IBU's for the style. I will see if I can get any Galena and use that instead.

Wastegate said:
What do you think about these grains for a 5 gal batch Bohemian Pilsner

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.11 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 6.38 %

I will probably use a Saaz or a Hallertauer Hops and a German Lager yeast WLP830.

I would sub out the Pale Malt for Pilsner malt. I would go ahead with 95% Pilsner malt.
IMHO I'd cut back on the Cara-Pils to around 4%, and the Vienna to 1%. I personally use 1% munich in my bohemian pils, but that's subjective. Just try to keep your SRM in check as Evan! mentioned.

If you have the means, consider a decoction mash for some rich malt flavor.

Try to stick with the Saaz for hopping. How many IBU's are you shooting for? If Saaz isn't cost effective or available, go with the Hallertauer.
If you are going to sub out any other hops, consider Perle, it's a nice bittering hop. It's very clean and very neutral.

WLP 800 or 830 are great choices, as well as the Wyeast 2001. I have had success with all three.

Glibbidy said:
If you have the means, consider a decoction mash for some rich malt flavor.
I had planed a Single Decoction
Glibbidy said:
Try to stick with the Saaz for hopping. How many IBU's are you shooting for?
Low to mid 30's. If I cant find the Saaz I already own the Hallertauer

Thanks for the insight :mug:

Thanks for the help on this one, Here is the Beer Smith output.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: (PB) Bohemian Rhapsody Pilsner
Brewer: Preston Brown
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (?)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
11 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 95.65 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
4.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
35 min Protein Rest Add 23.00 qt of water at 126.6 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 9.75 qt of mash and boil it 155.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Notes:
------

That looks just fine. Good luck with the decoction, and have fun.:mug:
You may want to make a yeast starter for this beer to avoid underpitching.

Latest posts

Back