What do I do next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderFool

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to homebrewing and to this forum. What a great resource. Anyway, I'm on my second batch of cider. For the first one I used champagne yeast and unfiltered apple cider and it came out clear and light and sparkley with no flavor and I think very little alcohol.

For this second batch, here is what I've done so far: 3 gallons of apple cider + 2 gallons all-natural apple juice + about 2 lbs of raw cane sugar (dissolved in water) + a vial of White Labs English Cider yeast. Let that bubble away in a glass carboy until it stopped. Not apple-y enough at that point so I added 4 cans of pure apple juice concentrate (no preservatives). That caused a few more days of action.

When that was done, there were a couple of inches of yeast sludge at the bottom so I siphoned off the cider from the sludge, washed out the carboy, and put it back in (a little of the sludge got in the cider, but not much). I also added 4 more cans of concentrated AJ (same brand as before).

Now it's been 2 days and nothing. Would any action be expected at this point? I know I'm not doing this riight, but it just seemed like a good idea....

I've got a whole big mess of Grolsch bottles ready that I'm going to bottle it into. Should I let it sit in the carboy some more, then bottle it, or is it time to bottle now? If I bottle it now, for a sparking cider, should I add some more sugar (and how much?), or is the sugar from the concentrated AJ enough?

It tastes pretty good right now.

I am sooo excited about batch number 2! I'd be thankful for any help.

umm, I'd leave it for a bit before adding extra sugar in bottles. coz those Grolshy type bottles are very pretty and it would be a shame for them to go "BANG"

Hi,
Well it's been almost a week and this morning I witnessed a bubble in the airlock and some foam, so I guess it is very slowly starting to come back to life.

I think I'll let it do its thing for a little while and when it's done, bottle it with a little priming sugar in my pretty flip-cap bottles to get a nice sparkley, delicious cider. So excited.
YUM

You may be pushing the ABV tolerence of the yeast. If it doesn't get going soon, try a white wine or a mead yeast.

Back