Added Raspberry Puree on top of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forgot to put my raspberry puree in first so I added it on top of my wheat beer in the secondary. Will this cause any problems? I looked around and I couldn't find anything

The only thing you might have to worry about is a restart of the fermentation. Does the puree have seeds (etc) in it? Those will *hopefully* pass into an airlock if you don't have much headspace but make more krauesen.

When you rack out of secondary you will need to leave a bit more behind because of the new yeast cake. Consider cold-crashing as well.

I kegged this beer last week and it never really cleared, it’s still pink and it tastes like a wine cooler :( Very tart and dry, not terrible, but not what I was looking for.

I never had raspberry wheat beer so I have nothing to compare it to. I was looking for a beer that tasted like a beer that had a slight taste of raspberry. Instead, I got a beer that tasted like raspberry with the slight taste of beer :)

I kegged this beer last week and it never really cleared, it’s still pink and it tastes like a wine cooler :( Very tart and dry, not terrible, but not what I was looking for.

I never had raspberry wheat beer so I have nothing to compare it to. I was looking for a beer that tasted like a beer that had a slight taste of raspberry. Instead, I got a beer that tasted like raspberry with the slight taste of beer :)

That is the tough part about fruit beers...the fruit will add significant tartness if you overdo it. How much fruit did you put in to how much beer; what were the og and fg of the beer?

You can also get flavor extracts that shouldn't add fermentables or much tartness, but that seems like cheating.

So, you dry raspberried.......interesting!

I guess I would have soake the raspberries in vodka at that point.

Or boiled and strained.

Either way, adding a little at a time until it works.

That is the beauty of kegging.

I once fixed a lame stout by adding a STRONG pot of coffee straight into the keg.

It turned out fantastic, lol, amazingly.

This is a little different. If you whipped up a fairly plain wheat, you might end up with 2 kegs worth of not so great raspberry wheat. If anything, I might brew a half batch of plain wheat, dump half of your raspberry wine cooler and top off with the new beer.

Back