Two Weeks Later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a smallish rye beer two weeks ago. It was only 1.054 and I pitched a healthy starter of 3711. It had a HUGE krausen and was extremely active for 5 days and started to slowly drop off in the next few days. I took the blow-off tube off and replaced with an air lock. I'm thinking so far, so good. But, another week after that I'm still getting action in the air lock (every 10 seconds or so), and I have a small 1/4 inch krausen still on the top. I was hoping to keg this today, but maybe I should wait. Something wrong? Or am I too impatient?

Thanks!
-Mike

Check the gravity. Some yeast strains have a stubborn krausen that don't like to fall back in. Is this a first time with this yeast?

No nothing is wrong at all. I have had Krausen hang around for well over a month. 3711 if im not mistaken is French saison , if so that yeast is a monster those yeast will eat every drop of sugar and you will have a very low fg and a very dry beer. I have never had 3711, 565, it 566 finish in any less than a month , though 3711 is tr fastest if the 3. Give it time don't rush it and you will be rewarded with a great final product.

I used this yeast on a previous batch (1.072 SG to 1.004 FG), then washed, made a starter, and pitched into this batch. I guess I just figured it would rip through a smaller beer like this one.

I know I should take a gravity reading, maybe I'll sneak a sample later today.

Thanks!
-Mike

Back