Bottles NOT carbonating!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th0rT_17

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a batch of winter warmer that didn't bottle carbonate after 3 weeks. It was in the secondary for 3 weeks and was stored at roughly 68 degrees. Did to much yeast go dormant from the length of time in the secondary or was the temp it was stored at to cold? Any ideas on the issue?

Thanks

Neither of those would be the cause (time in secondary or temp). I'd have to wonder if you remembered to add the priming sugar when you bottled? Or got a good seal on the bottle caps?

Frodo is absolutely correct, 3 weeks is nothing. What was the FG of the beer, how much priming sugar did you use?

I had a batch recently where I thought they weren't carbonating. Turned out I didn't mix the priming sugar well enough. I ended up with one bottle exploding, others that were gushers, and a lot that were flat.

I added 128 grams of priming sugar and mixed it well in the bucket before bottling. The bottles did have a bit of a hisssss when I opened one today so maybe they just need more time.

Are the bottles stored at 68 degrees now? That's just a touch on the chilly side and can cause a slow carbonation. Also, high ABV can make carbonation slow. Combine the two and you're going to get a really slow carbonation. Nothing to worry about.

Warm it up a little if you want to hurry it along some, but it's going to take longer than 3 weeks.

Just moved it to 72 and the ABV is around 7.3. Thanks for the advice I guess I'll just have to give it another couple of weeks.

Back