10 Gallon Partial Mash Bohemian Pilsner Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a simple one that I just racked into secondary:

14 lbs. Pilsener LME (Got it from Morebeer.com)
all Czech Saaz 4 oz. 60 mins, 1 oz. 30 mins, 1 oz. 15 mins.

Pretty simple, so far it tastes yummy.

If I'm pairing this with the extract I would assume to mash with 2-row pils, and mash high to achive ultimate body from the grain?

right?

digdan said:
If I'm pairing this with the extract I would assume to mash with 2-row pils, and mash high to achive ultimate body from the grain?

unfortunately its not that simple. 1st you would need to know the limit of attenuation of the ME that you will be using. Using Pilsner LME/DME sounds like a good idea for this beer. Then you would try to calculate what fermentability you want to get from the partial mash based on the amount of extract that the PM will contribute. This is someting I thought about when I was still brewing PM, but I never got to taking it that far.

This being said, the malt extract sould already have the atenuation that you want from it. German and Boheminan Pilsners generally have a residual extract of 2-2.5*P. This is a FG of only 1.008 - 1.010 and like most light lagers they take their body more from the proteins than the dextrins. When you mini mash I suggest aiming for normal fermentability (temp ~154 *F) and add some CaraPils. About 1-1.5 lb for a 10gal batch along with some Pilsner malt should be fine.

Kai

Does this look alright?

Recipe: Kral Pivo
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.45 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

12.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.3 %
4.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 28.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body (@ 154 degrees)
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 lb

Back