Beer/food in SLC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AggieChemDoc

Reaction score
I'm travelling to the hometown of the brotherhood of the funny underwear on Friday. I see there are a couple of brewpubs, but the state has a wonky 3.2% cap? How's that work out with the brewpubs?

Any locals want to give me the scoop on good places to eat and drink in Salt Lake City? :mug:

3.2 cap is only for beer bought at the grocery store. They also don't sell wine or liquor anywhere but in state run liquor stores. other than that all bars are able to sell higher abv beers. If you want to try a good bar, the bayou has TONS of beers on tap, world renowned stuff form belgium, france, germany, england etc. as well as US beers, and local Utah brews. Dinner wise, squatters is pretty good and a local brewpub, or if you want to try more for something non brew pub like, then there are a ton of different places to eat downtown, all on or around 3rd south and the downtown area. If not, it really depends a LOT on the kind of food you want.

I also like to drink at The Piper Down on like 1300 or 1400 south and State st. They ahve good pub snack food, I especially like their 'Irish Nachos' which are potato slices w/ jalapenos, cheese etc, really yummy.

pm me if you want more detailed info on specifics. (BTW the bayou is owned by the biggest homebrew store here in SLC)

Any locals want to give me the scoop on good places to eat and drink in Salt Lake City? :mug:

I was there at the end of April for a week and had a great time at:

1) The Beer Hive (awesome selection of both draft and bottled beer - I mean really awesome)

2) Redrock Brewing Company (decent draft micro brew, great food - for a brewery)

3) Squatters Brewery (good beer selection - both draft and bottled, good food)

And, all three are within walking distance of the Temple ;)

+1 The Bayou, Actually all the places mentioned so far are pretty good.

If you are in the burbs had lunch here http://www.hoppersbrewpub.com/ last week and was a dang good burger and beers are made on-site and i thought they we quite good. Reasonablly priced too.

Hope you enjoy your stay behind the Zion Curtain. ;)

The Canyon Inn at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Fasten your seatbelt.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm flying in and sans rent-a-car, but I can taxi to any spots worthwhile. I'm stuck downtown in and around the conference center.

PS, no offense intended to any mormons... not that you should be reading a homebrew site anyway, eh? :tank:

One of my best friends from high school is of that persuation and I haven't seen him in 15 years. Looking forward to catching up with him this weekend. :rockin:

I like the Bayou, their sweet potato fries and chipolte dip is good. I enjoy Red Rock Brew-pub a little more, since they make their own beer there...it just makes me feel more comfy.

Even better than that, I like the Bohemian, way down in Sandy (or is it Midvale?). Very good beer and decent German food.

Porcupine Grille, at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and Hoppers are good too.

.....And it should be noted that Utah's "3.2%" beer is 3.2% alcohol by weight. We [homebrewers], and almost everyone else in the beer drinking world measure alcohol in beer by volume. Beer in some other state with 5.2% on a label sounds pretty cool, and for making fun of less-alcoholy beer, 4.0 isn't as much fun to make fun of and since 3.2% is a lower number, it sticks.

Our grocery store (and on draft) beer is 4.0% ABV, which equates to 3.2% by weight. 4.0 is the number to compare to most other states' beer.

Just remeber, the beer hear is measured by weight, not volume. So 3.85 by weight equals 4.0% by volume. Still not that great but not as bad as it sounds. Just had to represent the home town.

theres a brewpub in the airport that has a beer called polygamy porter its good too!

Back