Fermenting temp ? from VERY noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Going to be getting my kit this weekend :ban:. For my very first try at brewing I want to try a batch of Amber Ale. The biggest problem I see is that my house temps only average between 65-68 degrees. Is this going to be to cold for fermenting?
Thanks
ToBrew

Mine is always between 65 and 70, usually on the 70 side.

The fermenter will be warmer than the air temp due to it being an exothermic reaction.

lol, thats prime temp!

im too cold @ 66-68, so i keep the thermostat @ 70.
where i ferment for the vigerous stuff it's 68-69...i will just have to deal with it. after the heavy ferm is done, it gets moved into the hot water heater closet, temps are solid, dead rock steady 74*
only been able to drink one batch, and it was very good... my hydro reading from second batch tasted awesome, so we shall see in about 4 weeks how that turned out.

good luck!

I ferment almost all of my ales at 62-64 degrees. That seems to be the best all-around temperature range for most ale yeast. There are a few strains that should be a bit warmer, but if your room temperature is say, 64 degrees, the fermenting wort may be a few degrees higher anyway. I wouldn't go over 70 degrees (wort temperature) unless I was making a saison.

uhh-ohh... still have no thermometer on pales...

i did knock down 8 of my homebrews one night, in about 3-4 hours, and next day i had zero hangover. if that was wine, i would have swallowed a few 800mg motrins!
no fruit flavors at all, but fusels??? how would i know..

woops, sorry to hijack!
back to my rum, no homebrew :(

uhh-ohh... still have no thermometer on pales...

i did knock down 8 of my homebrews one night, in about 3-4 hours, and next day i had zero hangover. if that was wine, i would have swallowed a few 800mg motrins!
no fruit flavors at all, but fusels??? how would i know..

woops, sorry to hijack!
back to my rum, no homebrew :(

2 distinct but possible results that can show up in beers that were fermented on the warm side (74 degrees definitely qualifies) are banana tasting esters and a hot alcohol sensation. Both of these tend to mellow and even disappear with aging.

My rule of thumb for all but Belgian-style ales is the lower the temp the better as long as the yeast stays active. I agree with Yoop in that I love to see 62 on the fermometer and bubbles in the airlock.

Going to be getting my kit this weekend :ban:. For my very first try at brewing I want to try a batch of Amber Ale. The biggest problem I see is that my house temps only average between 65-68 degrees. Is this going to be to cold for fermenting?
Thanks
ToBrew

With most Ale's, fermenting above 68 degrees will result in undesirable off flavors. The ambient temp in your house is optimal but, during the first days of fermentation, the yeast will bring the thermal mass of your brew higher than the ambient temperature (ie the temperature of your house). If you are brewing in a glass carboy, you may want to throw a wet tshirt over it to help it cool. If you are fermenting in a plastic bucket this is still possible, you just have to take more precaution that the lid is firmly sealed and that no water from the shirt comes near the airlock.

I am over analyzing this for your first brew though. The best answer is you will be fine and to relax and have a homebrew (or microbrew)

Back