First Batch Carbonation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
I just opened my third bottle from my first batch, a Belgian Wit extract recipe. I've had the bottles conditioning for almost three weeks now, but the carbonation is sub-par; actually, there is very little carbonation at all. I put in the priming sugar just like the recipe instructed, but I can't figure out what went wrong. I've kept my bottles at around 70-72 degrees, and I've tried random bottles from the batch (to make sure all the sugar was mixed thoroughly). Any ideas what might have happened? Should I just let it condition for another week or so?

Did you stir when you added the priming solution to your bottling bucket?

Give all your bottles a twist and wait another week. Make sure the temp does not drop below 70 degrees.

In a week, put one in the fridge for a couple days, then try it.

Actually, I poured the priming solution in the bottling bucket first, then siphoned from the primary, the gently stirred to make sure it was evenly distributed. I'll give it another week. Thanks for the help.

+1 on letting it wait a bit longer, also I notice on my home brews that if I get them too cold before I pour them there isnt much of a head.

The Bone2 said:
bottled home brew is less carbonated than commercial brew? So, adjust my expectations?:confused:

no, not really.
my bottled homebrew is plenty carb'd. you have control over your carbonation levels.

if you consistently have weak carbonation, its probably due to the seal of the caps. bottles can become worn over time. and cheap wing cappers can start forming a weak seal as well.

sometimes its just bad caps.

:off:
the nice thing about kegging your homebrew, is you can always fix your carbonation levels with the turn of the pressure gauge and a little patience.

:tank:

Back