New malting facility in Skagit County for local grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renoun

Reaction score
Today I was flipping through my housemate's copy of Edible Seattle magazine and there was an article about Skagit Valley Malting Company which is setting up to malt locally grown grains. Their website is a bit sparse and most of the press I was able to find was fairly old but it might become an interesting option for local grain at some point in the future.

I know a guy who is involved with this company. They are working with growers in the skagit valley to produce and malt barley varieties that are not found anywhere else. They have also malted a batch of Egyptian purple barley that they said hasn't been used in brewing for over 100 yrs. I have brewed with their copeland 2row and love it. the 2row is available at northwest brewers supply in Burlington.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been using the Copeland almost exclusively for my 2-Row now for about the last 8 batches and I love working with the stuff. It is far less dusty than the normal 2-Row carried by both Northwest Brewers Supply and Northcorner Brewing in B'Ham, and I have been averaging about 8 extra efficiency points with zero changes in my methods or grain mill gap.

I haven't noticed any impact in flavor vs normal 2-row on my regular beers.

Back