Worried about my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a German Alt and have it in my freezer. The temp is set at 60F, but the garage has been cold enough to keep the freezer temps to around 56-57F. The low end of the yeast I used is 59F. Is a couple of degree lower going to hurt? It's been fermenting for a week now at that temp so thought I would ask.

Actually that's not bad fermentation actually creates heat so the liquid in the fermenter well actually be a few degrees warmer than ambient.

It would be helpful to know which yeast you're using, but most likely, 56 is not low enough for them to give up. It might take a bit more time. Most clean fermenting yeasts can deal with low to mid 50's with no issues.

05? You'll want to get that up a little warmer, then. If you were using an Alt yeast, you'd be okay, but 05 likes it a bit warmer than that.

I went ahead and moved it in my basement. Since then, it seems my airlock has had more activity. The average room temps there have been 70. It set in the freezer for a week, so I may leave this batch in the basement for the next two weeks, then I'll bottle it.

Latest posts

Back