A great simple recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so I'm clear, it sounds like if you're just carbonating you don't need to pasteurize, but if you're backsweetening then you do? Is there a good way to tell if you need to? I'm thinking crack one open after a couple days and if it's super carbonated then pasteurize. Is that wrong?

I wish I could have helped you out more, but I keg all of my stuff, so when it comes to bottling info, my info may not be correct.

Dunno If this was asked, just being lazy, but

Why no boil? Has anyone brought it to a boil?

franzy said:
Dunno If this was asked, just being lazy, but

Why no boil? Has anyone brought it to a boil?

Boiling apple cider will set the pectins within the must leading to pectin haze. A cloudy cider that won't fall clear.

FermentNEthinG said:
Boiling apple cider will set the pectins within the must leading to pectin haze. A cloudy cider that won't fall clear.

Thanks guys. Trying 2 one gallon test batches. Didn't boil. One is apple and the other is cran apple. Split a bag of champagne yeast. Excited to try it!!

Im going to be doing this recipe within the next 2 weeks. I have 2 vials of WLP775 English Cider.
I was going to use both vials in one 5 gal batch with out a starter. Is that necessary or will these two vials do a 10 gals batch?
Do i need a starter?

Im going to be doing this recipe within the next 2 weeks. I have 2 vials of WLP775 English Cider.
I was going to use both vials in one 5 gal batch with out a starter. Is that necessary or will these two vials do a 10 gals batch?
Do i need a starter?

I your worried avout viability just make a starter with one. No need to waste the other, especially if you dont wash your yeast

I made a second batch of this recipe on Thursday with cote des blancs yeast. The first batch was made using commercial apple juice and came out fine, however aldi had 1 gal jugs of apple cider on sale for $2.99/gal this week and I had to make a second batch. On to the bad news:

The cider ingredients are: apples, potassium sorbate.

When I bought it I worried about whether the yeast would thrive in the cider, but thought it was okay when the cider appeared to be forming a krausen on day 1. However, there hasn't been any airlock activity and what appeared to be the krausen has since fallen.

What would be the best way forward? Make a starter from another yeast packet?

I made a second batch of this recipe on Thursday with cote des blancs yeast. The first batch was made using commercial apple juice and came out fine, however aldi had 1 gal jugs of apple cider on sale for $2.99/gal this week and I had to make a second batch. On to the bad news:

The cider ingredients are: apples, potassium sorbate.

When I bought it I worried about whether the yeast would thrive in the cider, but thought it was okay when the cider appeared to be forming a krausen on day 1. However, there hasn't been any airlock activity and what appeared to be the krausen has since fallen.

What would be the best way forward? Make a starter from another yeast packet?

Take a hydrometer reading

Ive heard of ppl overcoming that with more yeast but its kind od a crapshoot. The reason you had some krausen is sorbate doesnt kill yeat it stops them from multiplying

Hey,

It looks quite interesting but can you please name the recipe and time taken to complete the recipe.

Ive heard of ppl overcoming that with more yeast but its kind od a crapshoot. The reason you had some krausen is sorbate doesnt kill yeat it stops them from multiplying

I threw together a quick batch of a 1/2 gal of mott's apple juice and a packet of yeast...we'll see where this goes. I'm not going to drink 5 gallons of unfermented cider, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate and yeast - so it's worth a shot in the dark

PamelaToledo said:
Hey,

It looks quite interesting but can you please name the recipe and time taken to complete the recipe.

I called it "Apple-soused" and start to when I started drinking it was about 30-45 days.

I threw together a quick batch of a 1/2 gal of mott's apple juice and a packet of yeast...we'll see where this goes. I'm not going to drink 5 gallons of unfermented cider, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate and yeast - so it's worth a shot in the dark

Update: after 2 more weeks it's down to a little over 1.03. Seems to have made some progress in fermenting. I transferred it to a carboy and I'm thinking I'll pitch a packet of champagne yeast on top of it Saturday if there is no more movement - it's too sweet to drink right now.

Next time - no cider with potassium sorbate.

Has anyone tried adding bourbon and oak cubes? May do this (original recipe) and add some Buffalo Trace during secondary and an oak spiral.

Never added Bourbon to this but do add Oak Cubes to secondary. After kegging and carbing have added a shot of Fireball whiskey to the glass after poured (My spin on a Johnny Jump Up) and in My Humble Opinion is pretty good.

I have used basically this exact recipe as posted by the OP about a dozen times.(5 Gallon Batches).
Couple of notes and things to consider
- You can adjust the OG prior to pitching yeast and use FAJC to do so cutting back on the brown sugar. (I target 1.060 +- a bit)
- Last batch 1.058 OG was 10 days primary @ 66 to 68 Deg F using SO4 Yeast and a TBSP of Nutrient (DAP / Fermaid K mix 2 to 1)
- Racked to secondary
- Steeped a Black Tea bag in 2 C water for 5 minutes with 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 cloves and 1 oz Med Toast Oak Cubes Added it all to secondary.
- Racked from spices after 8 Days.
- Clarified by Cold crashing for 2 days Racked and kegged.
- Drinkable at kegging and great after a number of months if you prefer to age it.

I use this recipe as my go-to for a quick and easy hard cider. - Really an "entry level" hard cider to get your techniques and recipe fine tuned, It goes just off dry and a good base for experimenting with. Fruit addition works great with this one. (Leave the cloves out but keep everything else the same when adding fruit)

Latest posts

Back