Kegerator build tips for newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman42

Reaction score
Im looking for some tips on building a kegerator. I've read a ton of threads here, but could use some specific answers.

1. Will my two pin lock kegs fit in the Danby?
2. What model tower for a dual tap? Ones to avoid?
3. I've read that some people aren't happy with their taps. Advice?
4. Co2 inside or out?
5. I think I need a new temp controller as I've read the stock unit won't suffice. True?
6.other general tips for a newbie?

Thanks

1 - Pin locks are wider than ball locks so I think you'll need at least 18" wide for two of them side by side. Depends on the specific model of your fridge if they'll fit.

2 - I got a stainless tap with perlick upgrades from kegconnection.com and couldn't be happier. Everyone told me to splurge on the perlicks and I'll be glad that I did. They were right!

3 - See above. Perlick 525SS taps is what I got.

4 - I put mine inside. If you can fit it then inside is simpler. If not then outside is easy enough, just gotta drill holes for gas lines and seal them properly.

5 - Depends. I'm using the stock one on my fridge right now and it's holding steady at 40F. If I put a little computer fan inside for circulation I'm sure I could get it colder too. An external controller isn't needed but is easier to work with assuming that your fridge is capable of reaching those colder temps. In my case, an external controller without a fan would burn up my fridge because it would be running constantly.

6 - Buy from a quality vendor. Be careful cutting the hole for your tower but it really is easy. Use copper pipes as a sleeve and insulator for the beer lines up into the tower as that will keep them cold. I used pre-cut 1' or whatever lengths from HD and they fit perfectly with a good bit of pipe down in the fridge to keep cold.

1. Probably not. It looks like two ball locks fit with hardly any room to spare in the most commonly used danby model, and pin locks are wider than ball locks.

2. The main difference between towers IMO is the diameter. The smaller ones are a PITA to work on the lines/faucets. Actually all towers are a PITA to work on, but the smaller the diameter the worse.

3. By taps I'm assuming you mean faucets (a tap is what connects to the keg). As for faucets, get perlicks. Yes they cost a bit more, but it's cheaper to just buy them now than it is to upgrade to them later. The cheaper faucets get sticky when not in constant use.

4. Doesn't matter. Put it wherever it will fit or be out of the way. If you put it outside of the fridge, just be very careful where you drill the hole. You don't want to nick a cooling line and kill the fridge.

5. I've read that the stock thermostat on that unit tends to go bad after only a year or two, but have no personal experience.

6. Research and read everything you can on here before you get started. Use the search function.

I've been checking craigslist but haven't found the correct model yet. I'd rather not have to swap out my kegs even if they are only about $40 each.

Back