So, what did I forget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello from New Jersey.

I've been lurking here for a while. My kids got me a Mr. Beer for Christmas and I caught the bug. I picked up an extra MB fermenter on eBay and have made 9 batches (although still conditioning most of it.) But from what I've been reading here, that's not really making beer. I have so much to learn. To make the next step, below is the order I just placed with Austin Homebrew Supply. I didn't like the idea of fermenting in a plastic bucket, so went with the 6.5 gallon carboy. To get started the order also included a couple of canned beer kits. So, the question is, what will I be wishing I had when I begin?

6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy
Handle Option for 6.5 Gallon
6.5 Gallon Carboy Screw Cap
Airlock & Universal Drilled Bung

5 Gallon Glass Carboy
Handle Option for 5 Gallon
Airlock & Universal Drilled Bung

One Step Sanitizer
Carboy Dryer
Deluxe Siphon Kit
Plastic Racking Cane 3/8" (24" Long)
Bucket Clip
Plastic Paddle (24 inch)
Carboy Brush
Nylon Hose Brush (3/8")
Funnel (12 inch)
Funnel Strainer (for 12 inch)

(Can't beat the $5.99 shipping at Austin)

I see some things that you might want, but you might have gotten those with the Mr. Beer. You could list those things too. That is really more than I have and there are things that I could buy but aren't worth the price to me right now at least.

Yeah, I do have a hydrometer, thermometer and the stuff for bottling, but I never had to do any racking or siphoning before.

Welcome. I'm originally from Jersey also. I saw in your profile that you are 1 year and 1 day older than me.

What part of Jersey? I'm from Camden, but we moved out to other cites around there as well as Phillly. I ended up in Atlantic City growing up and before I went into the Army.

As far as your list goes, NEVER carry a full carboy with the carrying handle...it'll break. It's not really for carrying as much as for maintaing balance while carrying. I highly recommend getting some sturdy milk crates. I've been using mine for years.

I've been fermenting, OK, my beer has, in plastic for over 13 years so there's really nothing to fear. I do my secondary in glass so I can see it clear.

Depending on how many batches you plan on doing...I can ferment 7 batches at the same time...I would recommend a couple of plastic primaries as well as 1 bottling bucket and all that goes with it. You're going to need one anyway.

The syphon, is that an autosyphon? Those are great to use.

Welcome.:D

Get yourself carboy caps before buying bungs. You can never push it into the carboy. No to mention you can fit on a blow off hose.

Bottle washer would be good too. Get hop scale as well, the cheap balance kind, you can google it or go on MR Beers website.

MR Beer is OK in my if you know what your doing. (Can read the instructions) I've made many decent beers with Mr Beer. The full blown kit is better for crafting beer. Doing Mr beer is still brewing, some people say your not really brewing unless your doing all grain. Which is BS.

Get yourself a few books like the Complete Joy of Homebrewing or Beer for Dummies. B Dalton and Barnes and Noble should have some to pick from, if not go to your LHBS or hit up the public library. I have several books for reference. I like the Beer for dummies the best. It has all the grains listed, and hops, liquid yeast. I use this one the most. These give you a bunch of recipe ideas too.

Check out: http://www.howtobrew.com

:mug:

You shouldn't carry a full glass carboy by the carboy handle. Pick up a carboy hauler (http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1111&sectionID=1) or a milk crate for carrying it when its full.

A thermometer for your brew pan
Thermostrips for your carboys
A bottling bucket if you are going to bottle
A large glass or plastic bowl for holding all of your sanitized equipment when you aren't using it.

Wow! I come back from eating dinner and there are half a dozen posts. This is a great community.

I live in the little town of Sergeantsville in New Jersey. It’s close to the Delaware River, about an hour north of Philly. It’s not what most out of state people think of NJ. A bit more rural. A good place to raise kids (gone now.)

Thanks for the heads up on the handles. My first carboy might have had a short life. I’ll see if I can add a carboy hauler to my Austin order. Actually, after reading all the posts, there are quite a few things that I neglected.

I'll probably secretly keep using my Mr Beer fermenters. They are nice for experimenting with small batches. Little mistakes are better then big ones.

Thanks for all the input.

I know where that is. I went to the covered bridge once way back in time. I've also been to New Hope several times...nice tourist trap.

I've actually had some of my photos on display there at the play house. Nothing great, just a traveling art show that was displayed there from Trenton State students (when I were one)...:D

I was living in Mt Holly at the time and working at Ft Dix...22 years ago.

I left Jersey for the last time in '87.

anoldur said:
I'll probably secretly keep using my Mr Beer fermenters. They are nice for experimenting with small batches. Little mistakes are better then big ones.

Thanks for all the input.

I still do! Mine is used for a bottling bucket. I now use 3 gallon carboys with the carboy cap & airlock as a primary and secondary. Aquapure uses PET water bottles. $5 for the bottle and water.

I wish I skipped glass carboys completely & just went all PET to begin with. I've only used my Better Bottles + carboy caps for a couple batches, but I love 'em. Don't need a carboy dryer, just a cup will do. Don't need a carboy brush, it would scratch the bottle anyway & a soak in Oxy clean will do the job.

I use a "thief" all the time for taking samples from a carboy or better bottle:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1227
just drop in the hydrometer before taking your sample. (But contrary to the advice on the packaging, don't return the sample to the carboy)

Back