Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly does witch hazel do for a shave.

Also, any suggestions of skin conditioner/aftershave?

I use this stuff:
Q10 Revitalizing Double Action Balm - NIVEA

nfm_q10_asb_balm.jpg

I believe the witch hazel helps close up pores and stop and weepers by helping "shrink and contract blood vessels back to normal size." It's used in aftershaves and a lot of other uses.

Had a very nice shave this morning with the Slim Adjustable and a Shark Super Stainless on a couple days of growth.

I wish you could get a sampler pack with a nice selection but only a blade or two of each type rather than 5. It's going to take a long time to get through 21 blade varieties. Granted, I've tried a couple of the blades already (Blue Bird, Astra SP, Derby, 7 O'Clock blue, and now the Sharks), so I have 16 types I've never put to my face.

After using the new mug twice and leaving the puck in it, I'm seeing how you don't have swirl the brush around between passes before putting lather on the face.

I used my Schick Hydro at the bottom of my beard growth on my neck, just as a touch up the other day and instantly had ingrown hairs the next day. I just need to never put that thing to my face again.

Just cleaned up my face with my vintage straight. Got a pretty good shave from it this morning, feels good.

I used to use Nivea Sensitive but switched to the replentishing and like it a lot! I mix it up and use the Lucky Tiger Disappearing aftershave for a truelly menthol face.

Who uses an alum block on their face after every shave? I've seen it recommended by a few folks with YouTube videos and I'm curious about the results, if it helps the skin out any more than using something like witch hazel and an aftershave lotion.

I use a styptic pencil on cuts, its similar to the alum block. I would think using it on your whole face would sting like hell though.

I use the alum block after shaving and washing my face with cold water. Then I rinse the block with the cold water and rub on my face. First pass stings a little, but I feel that the block tightens up your face and stops bleeding very well. Any weepers, I hold the block to it for a few seconds, works awesome at stopping bleeding.

Witch Hazel is an astringent. It caused the pores to close and caused any weeper to close as well. But, it can be drying too. To solve for this many of us add some scented oils (meant to be like a cologne) to reduce the medicinal smell and help re-hydrate the skin.

Witch Hazel is an astringent. It caused the pores to close and caused any weeper to close as well. But, it can be drying too. To solve for this many of us add some scented oils (meant to be like a cologne) to reduce the medicinal smell and help re-hydrate the skin.

That's interesting, Gila. You mix the oils with the witch hazel?

What I've been doing is: 1) rinse face, 2) splash on a generous amount of witch hazel, 3) go about my business, toothbrushing, dressing, etc., and 4) after the witch hazel has had a chance to do its job, put on some moisturizer to counteract the drying.

That's interesting, Gila. You mix the oils with the witch hazel?

What I've been doing is: 1) rinse face, 2) splash on a generous amount of witch hazel, 3) go about my business, toothbrushing, dressing, etc., and 4) after the witch hazel has had a chance to do its job, put on some moisturizer to counteract the drying.

Ayup. Pour it right into the bottle of witch hazel. Shake the bottle before I pour some into my hand for a splash. I use an herbal oil my wife got from Bath and Body works.

Another thing that I have found that helps is to add 2 or 3 drops of Olive Oil to your lather mug. Not only does this add to the foam but it also helos to moisten the skin and lubricate even more of the skin surface while you shave.

I have found the OO to be better than Glycerin.

I've been trying to make a nice thick lather, use short strokes, good angle, go WTG, XTG then ATG and lathering each time.
My cheeks (where I'm not sensitive comes out great), but my neck is usually a mess. I've found that to get the close shave I have to go ATG and I cant seem to manage it without razor burn and a nick or two.

Until I my sample pack gets in, I'm using the Merkur Platinum blades that came with my set.

Those blades leave a lot to be desired...

I know I can get close to great on my neck but never BBS. Just too much irritation. My face and most of neck turn out great, just around my throat, I can't get super close. I still end up better off than a Mach3.

I liked the merkur blades when I still used my DE, I thought they were good. But blades are a VERY subjective thing, they differ from person to person, and beard to beard.

Tomorrow will be interesting...I had attempted (but failed) oral surgery on Thursday and 5 am that morning was the last time I took a blade to my face. I have the second try at surgery, this time in the OR under general anesthesia on Tuesday. So, I'll probably have a few days off from shaving again while I heal.

jtkratzer said:
Tomorrow will be interesting...I had attempted (but failed) oral surgery on Thursday and 5 am that morning was the last time I took a blade to my face. I have the second try at surgery, this time in the OR under general anesthesia on Tuesday. So, I'll probably have a few days off from shaving again while I heal.

Best of luck man! With that kind of growth I like to go with the straight razor, easy work with some beard growth like that!

azscoob said:
Best of luck man! With that kind of growth I like to go with the straight razor, easy work with some beard growth like that!

I shaved last night after a shower to avoid being late if there were any issues with the swollen face. There weren't and it was a great shave. The Astra SP and fat handle Tech did a fantastic job.

EVOO or just OO?

EVOO

I've been trying to make a nice thick lather, use short strokes, good angle, go WTG, XTG then ATG and lathering each time.
My cheeks (where I'm not sensitive comes out great), but my neck is usually a mess. I've found that to get the close shave I have to go ATG and I cant seem to manage it without razor burn and a nick or two.

Until I my sample pack gets in, I'm using the Merkur Platinum blades that came with my set.

I got the Merkurs too. Best I got was 1 or 2 shaves out of a blade.

If I wouldnt shave with it, I wouldnt cook with it... :drunk:

I made the switch from my fancy glass dispensor bottle to a Target travel area special, its a small plastic job with a flip top for shampoo, the glass one looked nice but the EVOO always dripped down the side making for a slippery glass object that I almost dropped twice.

The cheapie bottle doesnt drip, dispenses one drop at a time and closes up for storage in the drawer.

I made the switch from my fancy glass dispensor bottle to a Target travel area special, its a small plastic job with a flip top for shampoo, the glass one looked nice but the EVOO always dripped down the side making for a slippery glass object that I almost dropped twice.

The cheapie bottle doesnt drip, dispenses one drop at a time and closes up for storage in the drawer.

That's a good idea, thanks

I've just a little bottle with the dripless cap. The bottle is so small you'd think it was a sampler.

Oh No! You got olive oil all over yourself... you better get your wife to help you towel it off.

"My, what big arms you have and I just love the smell of your shaving soap, that is a big razor you have there, WIll you show me how to use it?"

Like that?!

Oh No! You got olive oil all over yourself... you better get your wife to help you towel it off.

"My, what big arms you have and I just love the smell of your shaving soap, that is a big razor you have there, WIll you show me how to use it?"

Like that?!

Exactly!!! that happens to you guys too????

I tried a Derby this morning, loaded it up in my 1911 Gillette ABC and got to shaving, this is a fairly agressive razor and with the derby I got a couple weepers on my neck because I was rushing things, the blade seems fairly sharp but a bit on the rough side, like the edge had burrs or something. I will slow it down and see how it goes over the rest of the week.

Perhaps I will run another Derby next week in a Tech to see how it fares in a more mellow razor.

If I have to do anything besides just put a blade in a razor- its not worth it. There are more than enough blades at every price point that don't suck from the get go for me to use. :)

And corks are for wine or expensive beers. :)

I was thinking of picking up a twinplex stropper and see how it works.

I have so many blades that sharpening them isnt needed but it may be fun to try on some of the rougher blades I have encountered to see if there is any improvement

Back