Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manchester, CT here. I don't have a mill yet, but I figure I can pick one of those up from Amazon or something.

I'd be in for either 2 sacks of 2-row or a sack of 2-row and a sack of MO, depending on how much the MO would run.

Is anyone in the area still interested in doing a group buy of grain? If so, post up what you're looking for. Once I have a list of grains, I'll reach out to the vendor (Farmhouse Brewing Supply) to see about getting prices. If you're looking for bulk hops too, put that on the list.

Once we get pricing from them, we can figure out if it makes sense to place the order or not.

Do we need a full pallet? Has anyone counted up how many bags have been posted so far?

I'm going to assume that we don't need a full pallet at this point... So if we can get a current count/wish list going, I'll contact FHBS to see what we can get for pricing on the group buy... I'll also find out what the delivery requirements will be, so we can plan accordingly...

--update--
Fired off an email asking for parameters, such as if we need to order a full pallet or not. If this would need to be delivered to a business address or if residential will work too. Also finding out if we can get some grain crushed, and other whole (for those of us without mills presently)... As soon as I get a reply, I'll post up the information...

This is what I show so far. I'm not sure everyone will stay in, but it would be nice to pull this off. I haven't heard of partial pallets, but it would be nice if someone knows how.

kyles609 4
godrick 4-6
Monox 1-2
konrad 3
xerotime 1-?
jaginger 1
wesolomon 6
tomj 7
Golddiggie 1
joshs 1-2
MikeRLynch 2-?
RIT_Warrior 2

That's 33 or more I hope. I feel we could definitely get enough for a pallet. There's a lot of people here in this central area.

This is what I show so far. I'm not sure everyone will stay in, but it would be nice to pull this off. I haven't heard of partial pallets, but it would be nice if someone knows how.

kyles609 4
godrick 4-6
Monox 1-2
konrad 3
xerotime 1-?
jaginger 1
wesolomon 6
tomj 7
Golddiggie 1
joshs 1-2
MikeRLynch 2-?
RIT_Warrior 2

That's 33 or more I hope. I feel we could definitely get enough for a pallet. There's a lot of people here in this central area.

Do you have (in the list) what each person was looking to get? I was looking to send off the info as X sacks of Y grain...

Would also be good to get confirmation that people are still interested in getting the grains since it's been some time now.

I can go back and look but I think what we need right now is not pricing, but a confirmation that we can get bulk pricing in general for say a 35 sack order. If its a no, then we wait until we can hit that 42 number. What do you think?

I waffled a bit on what I wanted when I said I was in for 2 bags, but go ahead and put me down for a sack of US 2-row and a sack of Pale. And maybe a new spine as well, for after I haul the things up my steps....

I'm looking to get one sack of [Bairds] Maris Otter and one sack of 2 Row (either Bairds Pale Ale or Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise, or maybe one of each)...

So put me down for 2-3 sacks o grain... How much will depend on when the order is going to get placed, and if I'm working yet. Hopefully, I'll be starting a new contract next week, so it won't matter. At which point, if the order is placed in a few more weeks, I could be looking to get another sack (or maybe two)... :D

I won't whine about carrying 55 pounds of grain up the stairs into my apartment...

You're such a badass, Internet Tough Guy.

Unless you're going up more than five flights of stairs, you shouldn't complain...

I have a bad back, and I can handle moving three 55 pound sacks of grain from my truck into the apartment (second floor, so stairs are involved). I suppose knowing HOW to carry a large sack helps... :D

Oh, and since I'm in the IT field, I guess I am an ITG... :mug:

Hadn't decided on a location yet. Somewhere central would be nice, but I'm sure people can help out here and there. Are you looking for more people to fill up your pallet? Also, do you already have an account with them? Please do not place an order without me. My Dad works for the city of Longmeadow and could pick some up for me from you if you order.

Please let us know. Thanks

East Longmeadow is way too far for me to go... At ~1-1/2 hours each way the fuel I'd burn offsets any savings had by buying with the group.

I'll be looking to get more grain within about a month. Figuring I'll be brewing two more batches over the next month, I'll need more grain either on it's way, or an order about to be placed soon after that.

If there is interest to pickup in East Longmeadow then I can have a pallet delivered to my business. We currently have room for 20 more bags.

hopfen

East Longmeadow is fine for me, so I'm in.

Edit: I'd also be willing to be a pick up point for anyone in southern CT who doesn't want to drive all the way to MA but can make it to Manchester. You'll just have to let me know beforehand.

Anyone between Natick and East Longmeadow that we could use to bring some of the sacks o grain closer? Although if I get a job in Franklin, MA, I'd be closer to the delivery location...

Just need to know far enough ahead of when the order is going to be placed.

I just got another email from the person at FHBS... We won't need to order a full pallet from him. Initial pricing estimate is 18% above wholesale (his cost). We can get each sack milled for an extra $2.50 per SACK (55 pounds) if we wish...

So if anyone is still looking to get in on an order, and would rather not try to schlep out to East Longmeadow (or just to the left of BFE) let me know...

East Longmeadow is pretty far for me as well. What exactly is the cost per sack? I would probably go for 1, maybe 2 depending on the price.

I need to provide them with how many sacks of what we're looking to get before I can get pricing...

Right now, I'm looking to get one sack of MO, one sack of Golden Promise, and one sack of Bairds 2 Row (UK Pale Ale malt)... Either post here, or send me a PM with what you want...

Count currently:
Maris Otter: 2
TF Golden Promise (UK 2 Row): 1
Bairds Pale Ale malt: 2
US 2 Row: 1
Pilsner: 1
Vienna: 0.5 <-- Need a full sack I believe, will check to see cost of 1/2 a sack.

I'm in for 1 bag each:

Pale Ale
MO
Pilsner

I can also do 1/2 a bag of vienna if someone wants to split it.

kyles609 4
godrick 4-6
Monox 1-2
konrad 3
xerotime 1-?
jaginger 1
wesolomon 6
tomj 7
Golddiggie 1
joshs 1-2
MikeRLynch 2-?
RIT_Warrior 2

Is the Central MA/CT group going to pull this off with a shipment to East Longmeadow? Seems like there's another group angling for the Natick area. We should probably nail this down or it may not come together.

jaginger said:
Is the Central MA/CT group going to pull this off with a shipment to East Longmeadow? Seems like there's another group angling for the Natick area. We should probably nail this down or it may not come together.

Do you have a link to the discussion on this grain buy that may be happening in natick?? Thanks

Do you have a link to the discussion on this grain buy that may be happening in natick?? Thanks

I'm the one that was trying to get a small group together, closer to Natick, for a group purchase (not a full pallet load)... It's kind of tuckered out, so I have no idea if it will happen...

I do know that I'll need to get at least two, if not four, sacks of MO by the end of the month (February). Especially if this purchase goes through, considering the price for Bairds Malt MO, or even Thomas Fawcett MO (not sure if one is better than the other, would prefer the better of the two)... I could go in for a sack of Fawcett Golden Promise too, for when I don't want to use MO (there COULD be such times)...

So it really comes down to which of the two Maris Otter brands is better and when this order would take place. If my 3-5 sacks of grain puts you over the top, to where it can be placed, let me know.

kyles609 4
godrick 4-6
Monox 1-2
konrad 3
xerotime 1-?
jaginger 1
wesolomon 6
tomj 7
Golddiggie 1
joshs 1-2
MikeRLynch 2-?
RIT_Warrior 2

Is this going to happen soon?? Safe to count on me for 4 sacks of MO if this is going to happen before the end of the month.

I think we would need to start fresh and see where the interest is at. There was a few maybes and a good amount of time has passed. I would still love to see it happen though.

At the prices on the pdf, I'd be good for 4 sacks of Bairds Malt MO...

I'd like to know if they have any Crystal MO yet (it's still pretty new)... I would like to know if there's any difference between Bairds and Thomas Fawcett MO (and UK 2 Row)...

I'm still on board for 2 bags, assuming this is still happening. Looking at the price sheet, I'll take a bag of the Baird's pale and a bag of Canada Malting 2-Row.

I'll still offer to be a pick-up point for someone who can't make it to east longmeadow but can make it to Manchester, CT.

I work in Framingham. I'd be willing to meet someone in Framingham/Natick area if central Mass it too far for anyone. I think I'd have to limit this delivery to few bag as I don't want my car dragging arse on the Pike.

I'd take 2 sacks of 2-row, 1 sack of wheat and 1 of pilsen depending on where the final delivery/pickup will be.

Back