Stuck fermentation on my Belgian beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I took a hydro reading on my Dubbel 4 days ago after a week in the primary, and it was at 1.030 (down from 1.080 OG), so I bumped the temp up to 75 and let it rest. I took another reading today, and it hasn't changed.. Do I have a stuck fermentation? If so, what should I do about it? I have some notty and a WLP530 starter, but the WLP530 is kind of reserved for my quad, which will need as much yeast as it can get since it's around 1.105 expected OG.

Should I pitch the notty? Should I pitch half the WLP530 and try to make a new starter from the other half for my quad? Should I bump the temp up and not re-pitch?

A bit more info.. I pitched a 1L starter from a stir plate, and it was only a 2.5 gallon batch.. I poured the wort back and forth to oxygenate before pitching. I did everything right, or so I thought..

Give the fermenter a good shake or five. Rock it back and forth to try to get the yeast back into suspension.

If you plan on finishing fermentation below 70F I'd use Nottingham, but if you plan on keeping it warm them make a starter with half of that WLP530 and pitch that. You'll need a very large starter for the quad, but you can grow a starter up from a very large amount.

Latest posts

Back