What to add to a Vienna Lager kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Okay!

So, I got a Mr. Beer brewing kit for my birthday about a month ago, and my first batch of beer (the pale ale that came with the kit) is currently conditioning away. But, since I'm impatient (and might have some time this weekend), I think I'm gonna start up a second batch- I got a Vienna Lager kit as well.

However! Here's the kicker. I tasted a sip of the pale ale when I bottled it- it's decent enough, if kinda watery. A quick glance at the instruction booklet informs me that the straight kit only makes a beer that's somewhere around 3.7 percent ABV. Seeing as of how I tend to like my beer a little stronger than that, I was glad to find a little table listing other sugars and things that can be added for the yeast to ferment and make it boozier.

So, the real question is- what would be good to add to the Vienna lager? Right now, I'm thinking about either brown sugar, or honey, but I'm afraid the sugar might make for a funky-tasting beer.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

i've done a few mr beer's with and without additions and just bought a 7.5 gallon fermentation bucket to start doing 5-6 gallon batches.
I noticed that the kit was lacking flavor and alcohol so i threw in a 1lb bag of light dry malt (light hopped variety) and kept the booster for higher ABV% (about 6% or so). I enjoyed it and everyone who tried it was impressed; (they all drink bud,coors,and miller though). Try a bag of light DME and see if that works for you, you can also skip the mr beer refills and just get a 3.3lb LME kit from a home brew store, fill to the bottom of "Quart" (2.4 gallon) and it will give you all the flavor/ABV you need. be carefull though I did one and the foam bubbled out from under the cap for about 12 hours (threw it in the bathtub).
Have also tried brown sugar in small amounts and enjoy the hints of flavor it gave, but I don't know if it would be good with your kit, never tried that one.

Back