Fermenter size for small batches..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I want to switch over to all grain and am going to start with small batches using the BiaB system.

My question is can I primary in a normal size bucket (6 Gallon) with air lock or do I have to go to a smaller bucket? Will it create enough CO2?

If not, is there a cheaper way to get a small food grade fermenting bucket? I am not sure where to find a plastic bucket to do it in...

Thanks,
Jeff

I would think a 6 gal bucket would be fine for 3 gal batches. 5 gal might be a better choice, start snooping around and you will likely find a bunch of free buckets just for the asking. Try a bakery, filling and frosting usually come in 5 gal hdpe buckets.

No problem fermenting in a 6 gallon bucket. Plenty of CO2 will build up to fill the air space. I don't think my air lock bubbling isn't quite as "hardy" when I do a half batch in a bucket so don't be dismayed if you don't see your normal explosion of activity. :)

Back